1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8.1 Unlicensed

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by doodles74, May 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. doodles74

doodles74 Thread Starter

Hi,

After purchasing 8.1 now for a few years I am unable to update my license for a few months due to finances. I am mainly worried about Outlook, my email, will it still work?

Thanks in advance

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What licence do you refer to please
    As far as I know you purchase the rights to use the software when you purchase Windows 8.1
    It is not time related.

3. doodles74

doodles74 Thread Starter

The yearly purchase licence to keep the subscription current.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    License for what? Windows 8.1 (and other versions of Windows) have "only" a one-time fee, except I guess for Enterprise.

5. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

So I presume - it is the subscription to Office - rather than the subscription - licence of windows 8.1

As I understand it and I have to stress that I do not have a definite answer for you.
    When your subscription expires you can still access docs etc - with some difficulty it appears and edit them, but you cannot create new documents.
    I believe you can still read emails and access contacts list but you need confirmation
    As I have no experience of Office365 or whichever it is on subscription basis

Had I have realised that you meant your OFFICE subscription I would not have replied to your topic as I am not the person to help you.

I would have thought to be on the safe side, that instead of relying on this you use Outlook.com as against Outlook in Office.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/ar...together-b8625006-d062-44af-baf8-26c63b880f53

So export from Outlook before sub ends to another email account eg. outlook.com
    https://support.office.com/en-ie/ar...contacts-d791fe88-5c67-44c5-a3f6-a484508082a1

I am sorry for not being able to supply a definite answer to the problem.

Last edited: May 20, 2015
  6. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    How much is your Office 365 subscription?

There is a $19.00 a year for a single subscription
    and a $99.00 a year for a 5 device subscription.

But you may also have had a 90 day trial version and that one you will need to get Office 365 or the full blown boxed version.

7. Tabvla

Tabvla

If you are referring to Office365 as suggested by my colleagues, Macboatmaster and DaveA, and if you are no longer able to fund the subscription then you may want to consider the following suggestion.

You can migrate everything in Office365 to Outlook.com. If you are unfamiliar with Outlook.com then there is good information on Microsoft. Briefly, Outlook.com gives you the online services of - Email, Contacts, Calendar, OneDrive, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote and Office.

The procedure to migrate from Office365 to Outlook.com is well documented in the following -

http://community.office365.com/en-us/f/158/t/169277.aspx

T.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1148573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice