Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Windows 8.1 Upgrade Causing Problems For Many Users

2K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  dvk01 
#1 ·
#2 ·
#3 ·
I updated from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 Thursday - although the download and installation took about 2 hours, I am very pleased with 8.1. I had to tweak a few things, but overall it was relatively simple and easy. Startup and shutdown are faster, IE11 is faster, Event errors and warnings are relatively few - have them back to zero after a couple of days and I am happy with it. My pc was clean and up to date before the upgrade, which I imagine helped considerably. One issue in IE11 was Google search not displaying properly, but by unchecking compatibility settings, that was simple to correct. All my programs and apps previously installed still work....guess it depends on the situation whether a person is satisfied with the changes. I am.

:pS - upgraded 2pc's, 1 desktop and 1 laptop. Same results for both - good!

#4 ·
I have had the same uneventful experience as John. I have been using the TechNet 8.1 for a while now, so I had to reinstall Windows 8 to use the upgrade. Went without hitch and, I think, took about 2 hours which, of course was mostly taken up by the downloading on my incredibly poor ISP.
By the way, John, the google problem must have been an easy one. Microsoft said it was a fault with google, and not on their side, but they quickly issued a patch for it, imo thereby admitting that the fault was indeed on their side.. If you have been installing the updates, you will find it has gone away.

I have now tried it on my grandchildren's Laptops (four, and all varying models) and all went without a hitch.

The biggest problem is the secure boot watermark, for which, so far, there does not appear to be a universal solution. I was lucky enough to get away with that, also.
I must confess that I am not aware of any other major problems, other than the four reported in the neowin links, two of which have been dealt with, although there have been a few posts on forums, often emanating from computer and software faults.
It does seem to be of great importance that your Windows 8 installation is thoroughly up to date, including the latest updates.

#6 ·
The link is pretty standard - nothing new or "under the hood".

Do you have a third party antivirus program running? This will automatically turn off the Defender.
I don't have the other two problems, and unfortunately I am unable to reproduce them to investigate.

#9 ·
If you are not a hard core Microsoft person I would be very very leery of the upgrade to 8.1. I do not use Microsoft web services but in the upgrade they force you to create a user account with Microsoft. I did not have a choice. I logged in this morning as it was late last night when the update finished, and my system log-in had changed from my name to two letters. My password did not work either. I had to use the MS service password to log into my own system. My malware was turned off so I had to turn it back on. Microsoft now has total control of my system and total access to ALL my information :mad: .... no they don't because I reverted back to 8.0. I will never use 8.1. Good thing I have a separate disk with a full system backup. The download was a bit slow but I assume lots and lots of people are downloading the update. The full update took about 2 hours. I have a good fast system so the other end is being hit hard.

#13 ·
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2882342

watch out for antiviruses being removed on upgrade
McAfee AV Products 2013 Improves user experience by not migrating the application to Windows 8.1.
Trend Micro Titanium 2013 for NTT Improves user experience by not migrating the application to Windows 8.1.
Panda Security up to 2014 Improves user experience by not migrating the application to Windows 8.1.
Outpost Antivirus Pro, Outpost Security Suite Pro 8 Improves user experience by blocking upgrade to Windows 8.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.