Windows 8.1 Will Not Load

fastwaves

I have a computer running Windows 8.1 that recently decided it would not load Windows 8.1 anymore. Currently, it will load the BIOS and then I get a blue screen with an error code. That is an issue for another time. I decided to take a clean, formatted hard drive and perform a clean install of Windows 8.1 from scratch. I formatted the new hard drive using another computer to reformat it. I downloaded the Microsoft ISO file from MSFT and burned it to a DVD as instructed. When I install the new HD in the computer and start it up I cannot seem to figure out how to get Windows 8.1 installed on the new HD. I have tried using F12 to get to the boot menu and I can and I ask it to boot CDROM rather than the HD, but it continues to load the HD because it tells me it cannot locate an OS on the HD. I also tried using the ISO file on a USB drive, but I get the same thing. I have been in the BIOS to check the boot priority and have switched it to CDROM as 1 and did the same when I tried to use the USB to boot and had it at 1 also, but no luck. I am kind of at a loss now as I have tried so many different ways to install that I am losing track. Any ideas would be appreciated.

fastwaves

Test your DVD and USB installation media in another computer to make sure they are indeed bootable.
Yes, both appear to be bootable. I checked the USB using MobaLive and it confirmed it was bootable. The DVD has the same files also. Odd that my computer on start up is not recognizing the USB or CD on the reformatted hard drive. Must be in my BIOS because that is as far as I'm getting on start up. I guess I could go back to the previous HD that was in the system and see if I get the same response.

1) What happens if you temporarily disconnect the hard drive?

2) Sorry, not familiar with MobaLive. The best way to test is with another computer.

fastwaves

1) What happens if you temporarily disconnect the hard drive?

2) Sorry, not familiar with MobaLive. The best way to test is with another computer.
So I disengaged to HD. For some reason, the USB will not work, but my recovery disc that came with the computer and the Windows 8.1 ISO file I burned today to DVD worked to the point that it takes me to the Windows 8 Installation. Not going to worry about the USB for now.

fastwaves

Well, while I can get to the installation screen for Windows 8.1 when an HD is not attached. I cannot get to the installation screen when an HD is attached. I try to boot the CD from F12, but it does not work. I've tried 2 different hard drives. A clean reformatted HD and the HD that was in the computer previously. It seems with an HD attached I cannot boot from anything other than the HD even when I have removed the HD as an option to boot from in the BIOS. I am totally frustrated.

That is too weird. . . . Same thing happen with Windows 10 bootable media? If so, sounds like there may be something wrong with the BIOS (or motherboard?).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online