1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Boot Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by dharmasc815, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dharmasc815

dharmasc815 Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I have a sony vaio s13p with windows 8. After making the recovery disks, I deleted the recovery partition and extended the primary partition to take up the space so I would have more storage room on the 256gb ssd using EaseUS partition manager. After this, windows 8 will no longer boot. I already tried to restore it to factory condition using the sony made disks, but they do not appear to be working. Are any other steps I should take? or is a format and windows 8 clean install my best bet. I have my files backed up so file loss isnt really a huge issue

Thank you for your time!

2. bbearren

bbearren

Welcome.

The partition you erased contained your boot files. Hopefully the rescue disk you made can repair your startup. See if there is an option to "Repair Startup" or something similar. That option may be able to rewrite the boot files and allow Windows to boot. If you've wiped the EFI system partition (usually hidden, but you used EaseUS, which may see it) that may not work.

Windows 8 pre-installed by OEM is UEFI/GPT. A Windows installation on a GPT disk needs a small FAT32 partition at the beginning of the disk in order to boot. This can be recreated with a rescue disk, if it has the Windows Recovery Environment on it. You'll need to be able to use DISKPART to create the FAT32 EFI System partition if it's truly gone.

3. dharmasc815

dharmasc815 Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply! I had tried using the disk set I made with the repair startup option but the computer wasn't recognizing the discs as sony. Tomorrow I will be able to try and use my windows 8 disk (I believe it is standalone as I bought it through my school in a special deal).

I used diskpart to detail the remaining partitions. I deleted sonys original recovery partition which was about 37gb and the remaining 4 partitions are the c drive (volume 1), the windows re partition (volume 4) an unlabeled fat32 (volume 2) partition and a second fat32 partition (volume 3) labeled "sonysys". So i dont think i erased the boot partition. If the fat32 partition is no longer volume 1 or in front would this affect booting? Can I rearrange the order somehow?
    Thanks

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand the out-of-order partitions issue and I have no idea if this will help at all, but I'll throw it out just in case ...

I messed up my disk on Lenovo even worse. In the Boot Menu of the Lenovo there is an entry "Windows Boot Manager." Just because nothing "reasonable" (e.g., startup repair) was working I tried that. For reasons that I still do not understand it booted and I was able to boot or restart normally after that.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice