1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Bootable from USB?

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by neurtic, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

I've managed to find libraries of applications that can create bootable installations of Vista and Win7... but none claim Windows 8.

Does anyone know of a utility for making a windows 8 bootable installation USB Stick?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I successfully used THE WINDOWS 7 USB/DVD DOWNLOAD TOOL. Ignore the confusing name; just download, install and run the tool. It will prompt for your .iso file, and it worked fine for creating a bootable Windows 8 installation USB. Caveat: I ran the tool in Windows 7.

3. bbearren

bbearren

The Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool will create a bootable USB that will boot on either MBR systems or UEFI systems. Like Terry, I used it in on my Windows 7 PC. I used it to create a bootable USB to install Windows 8 on my EFI capable laptop after I enabled EFI and converted my drive to GPT. That same USB will boot my desktop PC, which uses MBR.

4. neurtic

neurtic Thread Starter

Awesome thanks.

I didn't know if those utilities were limited to incompatible bootloaders or old PE style Loader.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088671

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice