1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Driver Problem During Install

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by machv, Dec 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. machv

machv Thread Starter

I have an Acer TimelineX 3830TG Ultrabook. It doesn't have a DVD drive. It has 2 USB 2.0 slots and 1 USB 3.0 slot, which is a Renesas powered port that can be used to charge a phone for instance when the computer is turned off.

I am trying in install my copy of Windows8 Pro 64bit via a USB flash drive I have tried many different applications and more than once for each. I keep getting an error that there is a driver that I need for my computer that isn't on the installation media and that it is likely for a USB, DVD, HDD device. I have tried using the Windows 7 inf files form my windows7 install and every driver that is available for both Windows 8 and 7. Which was a painstaking process to no avail. I just went out and bought a USB DVD drive and although I haven't tried it yet

I am pretty sure that i am going to run into the same problem as it will also be connected to a USB port. What I really have a hard time wrapping my head around is the fact that if the driver was such a problem how would I be able to boot from it in the first place??? And further more Windows 7 has no problem installing from USB. I have succesfully installed Windows 8 onto a VM and it had the same problem until I diabled the USB. So I am 90% sure that it is the USB that is causing the grief. Short of installing over a network which I have never successfully accomplished before and I don't have access to another computer to even try to do this anyway, so that is a non-starter.

So there is the background, what I am looking for is either the right driver to get Windows8 to continue to install or a way to scam Windows into backing off so I can install, or where I can find the correct *.inf file in the Windows8 VM installation which I can then either put onto the flash drive or onto my storage partition, and then continue to install Windows8.

Honestly I am only going to all this trouble because I found an application that gives you the start button (orb) back. Ohterwise I wouldn't have gone out and got Windows8 in the first place. And it is only because I like gaming that I haven't fully switched over to Linux fulltime anyway, and because I know Windows better than Linux but that is quickly changing as I learn more about Linux. Thanks for all your help and sorry if I have rambled on too much.

I have searched about how to fix this and the only answer that I keep running into is that I should remove all of my USB devices. Sadly I cannot do this because I am installing from USB so that answer is just silly in my case.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1081644

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice