Windows 8 dual boot with 7 problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

pcuser41

I was trying to duel boot 8.1 and 7 ( Windows 7 Home Premium (x64) ) and i already disabled fast boot and secure boot

I made the USB first on the boot sequence but that did not work i tried to boot from it though the boot device menu did not work it just keeps booting back into Windows 8.1 :mad:

I already tested the flash drive and it works perfectly.

Laptop model: SATELLITE C55-A5220

My bios: ACPI Flash BIOS version 1.20 for Satellite C50/C55/C55t (PSCF6x/PSCFEx)

Computer specs:

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit (Pre-installed)
Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 1037U @ 1.80GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 3975 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics, -2044 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 442641 MB, Free - 16708 MB; F: Total - 21745 MB, Free - 21567 MB;
Motherboard: TOSHIBA, Portable PC

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Firstly there is something not right here
On the partition lettered C you have only 16GB of free space. That is not enough. You need a minimum of 10% and that is the absolute minimum

If 8 was pre installed (or 8.1) then the system is UEFI firmware. Windows 7 64 bit will install to a UEFI system on a disc that is partitioned GPT

Is there an entry on the boot device menu for HDD - USB - that is sometimes how it is listed

I think on that Toshiba you can access that from within Windows 8
System Settings is the TOSHIBA configuration management tool

available through the Windows® operating system. To access it:

1 To access System Settings from the Start screen begin typing

System Settings.

2 Click or touch System Settings.

The System Settings screen appears. and on there is boot options, which will the be retained for the next boot

If that does not work

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
CONTINUED from last post - sorry about that edit not working

If that does not work / Continuation
Have you made the usb drive correctly, as it requires preparing for a UEFI system
UEFI must boot to a FAT partition. It can read NTFS but it cannot boot from it

Please see this as to how to create that bootable flash drive for UEFI
http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/15458-uefi-bootable-usb-flash-drive-create-windows.html

I prefer the manual diskpart method
then scroll to using windows 7dvd - which I presume you are

ONE word of CAUTION if you do not mind
Please do not even think of trying it without the means of recovery to your present setup in case it goes wrong.

pcuser41

I'm sorry i don't really get it

I need a disk to install 7?

How to i set it up right?

How to i partitioned GPT?

What settings do i change in toshibas boot settings?

i sent you a picture of the boot menu

pcuser41

i'm new at the whole duel booting thing thank you sooo much for helping.

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you make the USB as I sent in the link it will PROBABLY boot from it when you select USB on the image you sent me
If you do NOT make the USB that way it will NOT boot from it, as UEFI cannot boot from other than a FAT formatted disk

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
If you need the answer to anything that comes to your mind now please post it and I will reply immediately
For instance
I need a disk to install - where is the Windows 7 from please and is it on DVD

pcuser41

There is one.....

i have been looking for an ISO of Toshiba's windows 8 recovery disk but i can't find one and i don't have the money to buy one

pcuser41

The built in recovery does not work i already looked for a fix and everyone says to get the disk

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Which aspect of it does not work and would you want to use it any way - as it returns the laptop to factory default
Surely would you not want to create the recovery media
Page 56 of your manual - onwards

Also did you see my comment regarding the distinct lack of space on C drive - where were you planning to install Windows 7 please - is F drive one you have created by shrinking C

pcuser41

I only want a backup in case i mess up the os

i already made a partition and room for the new os but i cant install it

i'm having a new problem when i boot from the USB ( Yes it's fixed THANKS ) it will say "windows is loading files..." then it freezes on "Starting windows"

Macboatmaster

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Re backup - I agree as I said on my previous post

I have asked before - is this installation of 7 - from a DVD copied to the flash pen OR from a downloaded ISO of 7

DaveA

David
Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
Where did you get the copy of Windows that you put on the USB drive?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online