1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 error infall

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by frenchassasin, Mar 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. frenchassasin

frenchassasin Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have a toshiba satellite m305 with windows vista. I recently decided to completey wipe it clean and start fresh. I took it to office max where the computer guy told me there was no recovery partition. He explained my best bet without buying a new computer was to get a new operating system. So i bought the Windows 8 upgrade. He explained to me it would be plug and play so i bought it. As i am installing it all is well until the very end that i get a error message that says:

"Windows setup: windows setup could not configure Windows to run on this computer's hardware."

I have no idea what this means and i figuered i wouldn't take it to office max again since i feel that they just screwed me into buying something. Please help me figure this out. Thank you in advance!!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    It is implying that Windows 8 and your PC are incompatible. Have you checked on Toshiba's web site to see if they say anything about Windows 8 w.r.t. your model? You should call (or visit) Office Max to hear their story about why you get that message. And, I think that Microsoft gives support for all Windows 8 upgrades so you can try them also.

By the way, did the "computer guy" say Windows 8 was your "best bet" or was it your choice to get 8 instead of 7?

I assume that you no longer have a working Vista on the machine, but if you do run the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

Or if you have a set of Recovery DVDs you could use them to "wipe it clean and start fresh." Or you may be able to still buy a set from Toshiba.

3. frenchassasin

Terry,
    I have not gone to toshibas website but I did go to the Windows 8 web site and ran a compatibility check. I will explain that later. The computer guy told me that changing the operating system was my best bet and recommended Windows 8. there was no windows 7 there. My computer still runs fine on the Vista and i will try to run windows 8 upgrade assistant as you told me. I did make a set of recovery disk from my toshiba recovery disk creator but when i tried to do this it wouldn't work. thats when i took it to office max and the computer guy informed me i had no recovery partition for that to work.

4. frenchassasin

this did not help me. all it says is i will need to install app to play DVD's on windows8; i wont be able to use sidebar gadgets that are installed on my PC in windows 8; secure boost isn't compatible with my PC; my screen resolution isn't compatible with snap. Then it continues to show me that AVG 2012 isnt compatible; camera assistant software for toshiba is not compatible, Skype 5.10 is not compatible and toshiba application disc creator is also not compatible. The rest of the report states which programs are compatible and which one would require paid upgrade or available upgrade. This is why i feel it doesnt help because i dont see what is stopping it from completly loading.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I agree--it doesn't indicate that the install will fail. If you try again I suggest to uninstall AVG before trying. May as well upgrade Skype (current is 6.something).

6. frenchassasin

So i did some research from what you have told me and windows 8 IS NOT supported on my computer I dont have DIrect X9 graphics with WDDM driver which is a requirement nor do i have a screen resolution of 1366 x 768. Now my question to all of you is can i sell this windows upgrade since it never completely installed on my computer? thank again for you help.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes, you should be able to sell it. You never activated it, hence the Product Key is still new and unused.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1091724

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice