1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 explorer.exe high CPU usage w/USB HDD

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bener, Jan 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bener

bener Thread Starter

Hi there,

Having strange issues, explorer.exe starts eating up CPU, only when my USB HDD is connected.
    I could see a bunch of my files appearing in the DLL window of process explorer (screenshot included) so I assumed it was an indexing problem.

[​IMG]

Ran SFC, CHKDSK on all partitions, delete/restore index, in the end I have completely disabled indexing and it is still occuring. Weird, and cannot understand why this would be happening. I have disabled real time protection also.

It appears to still happen under a clean boot, and I cannot link it to any specific program or process or service, only that it happens when USB HDD is plugged in.

Any help would be much appreciated!

System Info:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro with Media Center, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) X2 Dual-Core QL-65, AMD64 Family 17 Model 3 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 4093 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4500/5100 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 109701 MB, Free - 31787 MB; E: Total - 1782726 MB, Free - 302299 MB; G: Total - 124998 MB, Free - 31645 MB;
    Motherboard: Quanta, 3060
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

2. bener

bener Thread Starter

Seems to have sorted itself out now that I got it to stop indexing. Will update if anything changes.

3. bener

bener Thread Starter

Spoke too soon... It's still happening.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1084654

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice