1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 factory reset with outside hardware

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by DevoHawkins, Sep 16, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DevoHawkins

DevoHawkins Thread Starter

Good afternoon,
    I am going to factory reset my Dell windows 8 laptop. The problem is, I got the laptop in really bad condition. I'm using outside monitor (vga) and outside keyboard and mouse (both usb). My question is after a factory reset, will the outside monitor, mouse and keyboard work? I'm worried about them not working and assisting during the reset.
    Any help would be GREATLY appreciated

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    The best thing to do when resetting to factory setting disconnect all external devices. reboot the machine.
    Now do the reset to factory settings.
    When you have the machine some what the way you want, with internet access.
    Then add each device one at a time, get it working and then add the next one.

3. DevoHawkins

Thanks Dave,
    That is great advice, and I will follow it. But without the outside devices I'm afraid I won't be able to follow the prompts for the reset. The monitor is damaged and the fingerboard never worked as well as some of the keyboard keys. I'm hoping to use these outside devices to help me set up the reset. I was wondering Dave, is it possible?

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    If this machine is in this bad of condition, it is time it get's replaced.

5. DevoHawkins

The machine itself works fine, everything with the exception of the keyboard and touchpad works just fine. So replacing it isn't an option ...yet. I just need to know if the outside hardware will work DURING the factory reset.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I do NOT know, it just may not since the drivers for the keyboard and monitor are not part of the factory configuration.

7. Fabio87

Fabio87 Banned Temporarily Banned

Generally, when you have internet access after a factory reset, plug in a device, the drivers update.
    If they do not, then go into device manager and update the drivers manually

If that does not work. Download the drivers from the company of the product you are attempting to use

Me personally, I would save n replace.
    Also, if you do not have a good/decent stand alone graphics card. Using a monitor on a Laptop is not a good idea, and will put a lot of strain on your integrated graphics

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1216600

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice