1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 hard drive format problem...

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Tzuch8, Jun 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tzuch8

Tzuch8 Thread Starter

Hey Tech People! This is a weird one.

I bought an HP ENVY H8-1534 for my wife (refurbished; great price). The site said it came with Windows 7; it came with Windows 8. I tried it out for four seconds and realized right away why Microsoft has gotten so much crap over this. Put plainly, in my opinion, this is worse than any other operating system. (I used a slightly different description last night and now I can’t find my cat). I am also not thrilled about having to sign up for every single service Microsoft has (or the machine will not work) and converting to Microsoftolicism and worshipping the greedy jerks that intentionally come up with this stuff.

I am very technically proficient with most Windows operating systems up until now. I decided to install a brand new Windows 7 Premium (premium for the price) disk on this thing.

Here is my question: I did all the BIOS stuff (turned off secure boot and everything else). Apparently this Seagate 1.5T SCSI Barracuda hard drive is formatted differently for Windows 8. I didn’t know that. Now, not only does the Win 7 install tell me it cannot be installed on this disk, but now, it has disappeared from all the hardware management programs (device manager, diskmgmt.msc, etc.). I put the drive in my old Windows Ultimate (for the size of the vein on my forehead) machine and same thing. Bootable rescue disk; nothing. Bootable USB; nothing. Something said the format was in a PG or PN something configuration.

I need to both be able to find this thing and make any kind of bootable USB that will format it back to NTFS. Is this possible? Even a bootable USB Flashdrive with MS DOS 7.x would probably help.

Anybody??

Please help if you can.

Tim

This is my Win Ultimate machine.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840T Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 10 Stepping 0
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 8183 Mb
    Graphics Card: AMD RADEON HD 6450, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 1379073 MB, Free - 689722 MB; D: Total - 13481 MB, Free - 1984 MB;
    Motherboard: FOXCONN, 2A92
    Antivirus: Norton 360 Premier Edition, Updated and Enabled

I obviously can't run this on the Win 8 box so here is the link:

http://sellout.woot.com/offers/hp-en...0gb-ram-2:eek:

2. valis

valis Moderator

howdy Tzuch8, I've edited your post for profanity.....we try to keep it clean here, sort of a family site.

thanks, and welcome to TSG.

v

3. Tzuch8

Tzuch8 Thread Starter

OOOPS!! Sorry! I didn't know that and I apologize.

Tim

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Tzuch8

It is not with respect a question of formatting it to NTFS
    The file system is not the issue
    Windows 8 uses a GPT partitioning scheme - Globally Unique Identifier Partition Table
    The partition from which Windows assumes control of the boot process is a FAT32 partition - that is the Windows Boot Manager

The partition table commonly used before was MBR or Master Boot record

32 systems cannot boot from a GPT scheme although 64 bit Windows 7 can

So the first question is - is the windows 7 home premium 64 or 32 bit

5. valis

valis Moderator

no worries, Tim....you'd be surprised how many people mosey in here all sorts of fed up. :)

6. Tzuch8

Tzuch8 Thread Starter

This is a Windows Premium 64 bit with SPK 1. I was hoping to find a way to make my flashdrive bootable and have fromatting tools on it. So far, no good.

Tim

7. valis

valis Moderator

8. Macboatmaster

Tzuch8

Well the windows 7 install DVD should be shown in the UEFI setup, there will before that is inserted be two entries for the DVD drive one will more than likely be shown UEFI and the other the same drive without UEFI

The easiest way forward is probably to use Diskpart to format AND CONVERT mbr, to disable secure boot and enable legacy boot THEN INSTALL, you will of course lose any chance of going back to 8.
    The other possibility and it all depends on how it was set up, was if 7 was the original OS and 8 was installed leaving the recovery partition was to recover to 7.

If you are going to install from USB on the existing GPT partition then the USB pen must be prepared using a special format, otherwise the system of UEFI and GPT will not see it as a bootable device.

9. Macboatmaster

10. Macboatmaster

I am signing off for a couple of hours if you wish to go down the path of legacy boot for YOUR HP this appears to be the method
    There are slight differences amongst the OEMs of Dell HP etc as to how it is done, but basically the procedure is the same, you should then be able to use the installation DVD for the procedure rather than separately running Diskpart
    Disable Secure Boot and enable Legacy Boot on a desktop computer

In some cases, it may be necessary to disable secure boot in the BIOS in order to start the computer using recovery discs. Follow these steps to disable Secure Boot in the BIOS.

1. Turn off the computer.
    2. Turn on the computer and immediately press the F10 key repeatedly, about once every second, until the Computer Setup Utility opens.
    3. Use the left and right arrow keys to select the Security menu, then use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot Configuration , and then press Enter .
      Figure 112: Security menu
      [​IMG] Image of Security menu
    4. The Secure Boot Configuration warning displays. Press F10 to continue.
      Figure 113: Secure Boot Configuration
      [​IMG] Image of Secure Boot Configuration warning screen
    5. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Secure Boot , then use the left and right arrow keys to change the setting to Disable .
      Figure 114: Secure Boot Configuration
      [​IMG] Image of Secure Boot Configuration
    6. Use the up and down arrow keys to select Legacy Support , then use the left and right arrow keys to change the setting to Enable .
    7. Press F10 to accept the changes.
    8. Press F10 again, then press Enter twice to restart the computer.
      Figure 115: Save Changes and Exit
      [​IMG] Image of File Menu
    9. As soon as the computer starts, a message appears indicating that the boot mode has changed.
      Figure 116: Boot mode change message
      [​IMG] Boot mode change message
    10. Type the four-digit code shown in the message, then press Enter to confirm the change.

11. Tzuch8

Tzuch8 Thread Starter

Thank you for all of your help. I have a direction to go in now.

Tim

12. Macboatmaster

You are welcome, back in a couple of hours approx.
    Will try and answer any queries you have posted then.

13. Macboatmaster

Tzuch8

Wondered how you were progressing

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1101063

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice