1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 install issue

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Crazy10, Feb 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

Hello,

I have been trying to install Windows 8 on this computer on an upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 8 (keeping all files and settings and apps):
    Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor, AMD64 Family 16 Model 4 Stepping 3
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 10238 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti, -2048 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 120093 MB, Free - 41774 MB; D: Total - 476806 MB, Free - 77180 MB; G: Total - 182817 MB, Free - 122362 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., M52L-S3P
    Antivirus: Bitdefender Antivirus, Updated and Enabled

Unfortunately, when it boots up during the second half of setup, the graphics are glitching and there are shadow problems! When the glitched mess goes away, there is just a black screen -- no mouse -- and no signal according to my monitor. When I did a hard reset, it reverted back to my previous Windows 7 installation which is where I am now! To install Windows 8, I am using a iso file that was created by the Windows 8 Upgrade Assistant.

Please do help.

2. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

Hi Crazy10, what did you use to burn the iso? It looks to me like it may not have burned properly.

3. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

It isn't on a DVD but I extracted the iso running it from the Windows 7 install on the SSD. I should've also pointed out that I don't have any DVDs either.

4. KomputerKid

KomputerKid

5. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

No sadly as I don't wish to do a reformat, but instead keep my files, settings and apps just as they are now.

6. Tabvla

Tabvla

As a wildcard suggestion.... while you are in W7, completely uninstall your AV, Bitdefender and make sure that there are no traces of it left - check the Registry.

Now try to do the upgrade from W7.

In your post you talk about "... Windows 8 ....". I am assuming that you mean Windows 8.1..? I am certain that you would not want to move from W7 to W8.

T.

7. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

That's a good idea actually! I'm talking about Windows 8 NOT 8.1! I'll install Start8 if I can install Windows 8.

8. Tabvla

Tabvla

Only you would know why you would want to install W8. Windows 8.1 is the best OS (for consumer use) ever produced by Redmond. And I have been using Windows since W95. Windows 8.1 incorporates everything that everyone loved about XP, W7 and even some of the better features of W8. It is a great OS that will lay a solid foundation for W10.

t.

9. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

The reason he wants to go to windows 8 not 8.1 is:

Because this is what going from windows 7 and keeping data allows and does not allow::

Attached Files:

10. Crazy10

Crazy10 Thread Starter

I just finished chatting to NVidia on Live Chat and they recommended me to do a custom install. I think what I'll do is make a backup of the PC, install Windows 8 as a fresh format and see how it goes. Otherwise, I'll get a larger SSD and make a dual-boot with Windows 7 and Windows 8!

11. Tabvla

Tabvla

Thanks for reminding me.... I had forgotten that.... :(

As the underlying engine beneath 8 and 8.1 is virtually identical, I wonder what the reason was for this somewhat strange difference in the upgrade path from W7 to W8 and W8.1...:confused:

T.

12. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Crazy10

I do not think from what I have seen - although obviously it would be subject to further investigation - that I agree with the suggestion from Nvidia

I would try again and if you wish to do so I will guide you through the necessary steps

The first and most important task is to ensure that ALL windows critical updates and indeed any you have previously hidden are installed on 7.

The next task is to ensure that you have the latest certified driver for windows 7 64 bit for that Nvidia graphics

If your spec is correct and you do have 10GB ram then you should remove sticks to attempt the upgrade with just two sticks - presuming you have four - installed dual channel - as per the motherboard user manual

HAVE you run the windows 8 upgrade assistant to see what reports are received

It is no use me continuing here in step by step detail on this post if your mind is set on not trying the upgrade again-
    on the suggested method - programs for which you do not have the installation media - or other means to re-install are going to be the main loss

Personal data - Favourites - etc can of course always be backed up and reinstalled.

As a final suggestion I recommend a read of this generic guide

http://www.gigabyte.com/WebPage/104/step-upgrade.html

and as previously mentioned by Tabvla
    the uninstall of BitDefender is vital

as that or any other third party antivirus or Firewall is more or less assured to prevent the upgrade
    . If you have not already, you will need to uninstall any 3rd party AV or security program you have installed first to prevent it from interfering with the upgrade to Windows 8/8.1.

disable it, uninstall using programs and features and then reboot and run the uninstall tool

http://www.bitdefender.co.uk/support/How-to-uninstall-Bitdefender-333.html

I do not consider it necessary for you make any attempt to check the registry for traces of BitDefender and even less - do I recommend that you make any attempt to manually delete keys or sub keys or change values in respect of such entries. However that is only my opinion.
    and certainly I do not recommend that you run any manner of registry cleaner.

If 8 install succeeds you would be best running the included Windows Defender rather than BitDefender.

13. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Further to the above I have just realised that you are trying the upgrade to 8 from an extracted ISO
    This cannot work - especially if it is installed on the hard drive that 7 is
    Neither will it work if you have installed the extracted ISO on a virtual drive
    The only way it is more or less assured to work is to make the flash pen or DVD and if the only stumbling block to the DVD is that you do not have any I suggest with respect that you buy some.

If you are making the ISO to USB use the Microsoft tool or Rufus is quite good

DO NOT of course boot from the DVD or the USB = open it from within 7 and run setup
    Again no use me continuing in detail if you are not going to try it.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143547

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice