1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Issues

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Meffa64, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Meffa64

Meffa64 Thread Starter

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5800 @ 2.00GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 13
    Processor Count: 2
    RAM: 3574 Mb
    Graphics Card: Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1), 4 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 292644 MB, Free - 189236 MB; D: Total - 9999 MB, Free - 3353 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0U990C
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Hi (1st time user) Previously I had Vista.

I have several questions, thanks for any help at all. I have been reading every night for a week.
    1. My cursor moves to another spot as I am typing and continues typing, never did this before I installed Windows 8 (while typing this 1st question it bounced up to Disabled and started typing)
    2. I have Hotmail, I cannot access my folders for saving emails and there is no move to button, is there a way to save emails?
    3. My biggest problem is that I have 2013 budget created on Vista version of excel and it now has NO formulas etc. it says .xlsx extension, but it has nothing but data on it. PLEASE tell me how I can change that.?
    4. I see NO Microsoft Office programs on windows 8 not even in the apps. How do I create a word document? Or anything else?

Thank you for any help.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. If you are typing on a laptop keyboard the top suspect is that the touchpad is set to be more sensitive than it was previously and your thumb or wrist is playing havoc.

2.What browser or email client are you using?

3. What is a "Vista version" of Excel? 2007? In view of the next question, how are you opening the .xlsx?

4. Sounds like you have not installed any or if you did an "upgrade" install something got lost along the way. How did you install and why are you expecting to see Office programs?

3. Meffa64

Meffa64 Thread Starter

Can I change a setting to stop the cursor from doing this?
    I am using Internet explorer version that came with the Windows 8 upgrade.
    I opened the .xlsx with file viewer, then tried .xlsx viewer.
    I did not install any office programs, thought they would transfer over in the upgrade.
    Thank you for any info.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Control Panel - Mouse - there should be a tab labelled "Device Settings" or similar. Those are for the touch pad. Dig into those Settings and you should find a bunch of different options. This, of course, is assuming that my response to (1) was on the mark.

If you are accessing your hotmail account with the desktop IE10 it shouldn't be much different than with other browsers or systems. If you are using the Modern UI IE10 I have no idea what that looks like. If you are using the Windows Mail App there is a way to get the folders other than Inbox to show, but I don't remember what it is and I'm not now on Windows 8.

If you did an "upgrade" install I would expect Office programs to be still available. OTOH I expect something will go wrong with an "upgrade" install and never tried one. Wait; almost forgot; I did upgrade an Ubuntu version once. Something didn't work right so I did a proper clean install.

5. Meffa64

Meffa64 Thread Starter

I was unable to find Mouse Device settings or anything that might have worked.
    I bought Windows 8 and installed it according to the directions, I did not just click on an Upgrade download.
    I did not realize excel 2007 was part of Vista, but I still cannot open the journal doc as an excel yet.
    I am accessing the Hotmail account through Microsoft Live as I could not open it otherwise.
    Thanks

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then you probably need the driver--look first in the laptop manufacturer's site and then in the touch pad manufacturer's site.

"Upgrade" or "Custom" install?

It is not part of any operating system. It is part of Microsoft Office 2007.

The Windows Live Mail program? I am not familiar with it; somebody who can help with it will probably want to know the version (I think 2009, 2011, 2012)?

7. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Excel 2007 is not part of Vista, Office(Word/Excel/etc) has never been part of any version of Windows. It has always been a separate program that required separate purchase so you should have a copy of of Office 2007 that you need to install again on Windows 8.

Which exact Dell laptop do you have? There should be a model number as well as a Service Tag that can be found on the bottom of the laptop, please post those.

8. Meffa64

Meffa64 Thread Starter

Triple 6 Which exact Dell laptop do you have? There should be a model number as well as a Service that can be found on the bottom of the laptop, please post those.

Inspiron 1525 Service Tag CL89ZG1 model #PP29L

Of course it would be Excel 2007...this is the 1st upgrade I did for myself and I am sure I bought Microsoft office and it was installed by someone other than me. That means I need to find the disks etc..right??

9. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
  10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086468

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice