1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 8 laptop will not boot up

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by a70123, Jul 12, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Two days ago it ( Samsung laptop with windows 8 ) froze up with a bunch of pages open. I waited and it did not change so I pushed the power button for about a minute and its never worked since. When you try to boot up a screen appears that says " Preparing automatic repair " then a cirlcle spinning then black screen . I need help please !!!! I have no special boot disc that I can recall . It looks like I can get in to the bios by pushing f2 and something else when I push f10.
    Thank you for your time.

2. lunarlander

lunarlander

You can download the Windows 8.1 setup disk image iso file from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows8ISO Of course you need a working PC to do so. Then right click on the iso file and choose 'Burn disk image'.

Now you can boot the DVD and on the second screen choose Repair.

3. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Ok I did burn a disk from that link . Now I am not sure about the rest of your instructions or what to do next .
    What do you mean second screen ? Do I just turn on the laptop and stick the dvd in and then what ?

Thank you .

4. lunarlander

lunarlander

Stick in the DVD, turn on the machine. There might be a key you need to press to make it boot from the DVD drive instead of the hard drive. On my PC, it says something about BBS Popup. ( whatever 'BBS' stands for I don't know ) but when I press that key, it pops up a list of drives and allow me to choose which one to boot from.

5. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Ok I will do this next. Will this cause me to lose my data ? And if not and it boots up to what was there before I had the problem then what is my next imperative step ??

Thank you .

6. lunarlander

lunarlander

Upon booting up the DVD / USB memory stick, it will ask you what keyboard you have ( US / UK / Arabic ..... ) Then on the second screen, on the lower left side there will be a Repair option. Just Read what the Entire Screen Says. Repair generally does not cause you to lose data - it is repairing the Windows components, but as always, you want to have backup of your data. Do it once per week, or you will cry someday.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2019
  7. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Well I am crying , nothing is backed up. So anyway after all that and disc burning , and putting the dvd in the drive I remembered the disc drive hasnt been working : ( so it spun and stopped. I found a thumb drive , cleared it and attempted to put the software on there but it said not enough space. :(((

8. lunarlander

lunarlander

Not the end of world yet. A USB memory stick with 64GB of space now only costs $7 at newegg.com

9. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

I just ordered one on Amazon prime hope to get it asap.
    If I do get it to boot , does it fix the booting problems ? If I do get it working whats the first thing to do ?

Thank you .

10. lunarlander

lunarlander

The Repair option on the setup DVD fixes problems with many scenarios. It's black magic understood by MS only. After booting with USB setup, answer the keyboard question, press Next and on the second screen you will see the Repair option.

11. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Ok. Now just waiting for the flashdrive I purchased .
    Thankyou .

12. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

Ok. So I got the flashdrive that has plenty of space and just tired again and it says not enough space. The download says its about 4 gigs or so and the flashdrive is a 128. What is going on ??

13. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Could be that it is 128 Megabyte NOT 128 Gigabytes?

14. a70123

a70123 Thread Starter

I just bought this Sandisk 128 gig flashdrive from Amazon got it today , so I don't think so.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    What software says 'not enough space' ? How are you transferring the Iso file to the Usb stick ?

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1229902

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice