1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Network Shares

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by bluestarCVO, Feb 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bluestarCVO

bluestarCVO Thread Starter

Hello everyone. I've been troubleshooting this problem literally for days and I am hoping someone can help me out. This issue involves my network shares, specifically the Windows 8 ones. I have 5 computers on a home network. They are as follows:

Desktop-Windows 8 Pro upgraded from Windows 7
    Laptop 1-Windows 8
    Laptop 2-Windows 7
    HTPC 1-Windows 8
    HTPC 2-Windows 7

First of all, all computers are members of the same workgroup and can "see" one another just fine. The Desktop acts as a server with all my documents, music, video, etc. stored on it. All Windows 7 computers can access the shares on the desktop just fine. The desktop can access all the other computers (Win 7 & 8) just fine. The problem is that neither of the Windows 8 machines can access the Windows 8 desktop's shares. The desktop shows up under "network", but when I click on it to access the shares, I get the message that "windows cannot access Desktop-PC. Check the spelling of the name. Ohterwise there might be a problem with your network."

Now, what's strange is that the Windows 8 laptop and htpc can access eachother's shares without problem, but either one cannot access the Win 8 desktop's shares. The other thing about it is, if I switch to a local account from a microsoft account on either the laptop or htpc, I can then access the Windows 8 desktop shares without issue. This is not an acceptable workaround though, as I want to be able to use the Microsoft Live account on all the Win 8 computers to get the benefits of account/password syncing, etc.

I have tried many things, such as disabling antivirus/firewall, resetting router, disabling IPv6 on all machines, tinkering with all settings under advanced network settings. I am at a loss. Since the other two Windows 8 machines can access eachother's shares easily, I figure that it has got to be something specific to the Desktop/Windows 8, or either the Microsoft Live account.

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Please let me know if I can provide any more information.

Thanks in advance!

Carl

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Do you have passwords on all of the user accounts on all machines?
    If NOT which ones do not?

Also it pays to have a user account with the SAME name and password on all machines. This account does NOT have to be in use, but muist have been logged into and fully set up.

3. bluestarCVO

All three of the windows 8 machines including the desktop have the microsoft live account logons, all using the same name and password. The Windows 7 machines, of course have local accounts (same name but different passwords). But there is no problem at all with the Win 7 machines. They can access the Win 8 machines and vice versa. The Windows 8 desktop is the only one giving me a problem. I thought that maybe I just cannot use a microsoft live account with shares, but undoubtedly that cannot be the case as the other two Windows 8 machines can access eachothers shares just fine using the same microsoft accounts.

4. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    I have not used the "Microsoft" accounts so I can not help there.

BUT, you might log out of the MS accounts and login to the local accounts and see if they work?

5. bluestarCVO

Yeah, I can access the shares just find when I am signed on as a local account, but I want to be able to use a Microsoft account and be able to access my shares. I know this is possible because the Win 8 laptop and htpc can access eachothers shares and they both use the same microsoft accounts.

6. DaveA

First Name:
    David
    But since there are three machines using the same account there may be a limit there.

7. bluestarCVO

I would be really surprised if that was the case, as all of the other computers can access one another fine, including the desktop when it was on Win 7.

8. bluestarCVO

Just to let everyone know that I did come to a resolution. After a week of fighting with this and losing sleep, I decided that it had to be something to do with the fact that this desktop was upgraded to Windows 8 from Windows 7. The other two Windows 8 machines were fresh installs and could see eachother fine. I decided to do a clean install of Windows 8 on the desktop, and I'm happy to say that the problem is now solved! I can access the shares on the new install just fine now. This actually worked out for the best as the old install was almost 3 years old and beginning to get cluttered. It was time for a good cleaning! Now everything is running perfect and fast. Thank you everyone for your help!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088570

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice