1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 8 not booting

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by brybry831, Apr 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

Ok, so I am a novice and I was trying to remove Mcafee from my registry through steps I found online and now when I start my computer it says "preparing automatic repair" it is a Dell inspiron 14r ( 14 5437) with windows 8. I do not have any sort of recovery discs.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

you uninstall McAfee from programs and features and then reboot and run the McAfee uninstall tool
    https://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

that is for your future information
    Please send the link to the instructions you found online and leave it preparing automatic repair depending on how long it has been so running

3. Macboatmaster

I have waited for the link so that I may try and establish what you have changed in the registry
    I am signing off it is 0024 in UK
    I am back about 1900 UK time
    It could take up to 30 minutes or so to prepare repair
    The golden rule is not to force shut down until you know for certain it is hanging
    Your best bet is a system restore point from the recovery menu

Details here
    If you get into the recovery environment
    please see this
    you want automatic repair
    if that does not work you want system restore
    not recovery or refresh but a system restore point

https://www.winhelp.us/repair-your-c...windows-8.html

system restore on the first blue coloured image on that link

that should hopefully take you back to before - the attempted uninstall of McAfee

4. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

How to manually remove McAfee Agent 4.x - McAfee Support
    https://kc.mcafee.com/.../index?page...id...
    May 29, 2014 - NOTE: Before you try to remove MA manually, attempt to remove MA using frminst.exe and the ...

5. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

I think I got it. It took 1 1/2 hours of just the Dell logo with no sign of loading, I only waited about 45 min before I would force the shut down before. It wouldn't restore by itself but it gave me the chance to go into advanced options where I was able to back up my personal info and then do the system restore. Before I connect to the Internet or anything I would like to create a back up disc or flash drive in case something happens where I can't restore, how exactly do I do that?

6. Macboatmaster

1. Recovery drive on USB
    To create a USB recovery drive

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Search.)
    2. Enter recovery drive in the search box, then tap or click Create a recovery drive. [​IMG] You might be asked for an admin password or to confirm your choice.
    3. After the recovery drive tool has opened, make sure the Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive checkbox is ticked, then tap or click Next.
      Note

• The checkbox is greyed out when your PC doesn’t have a recovery partition. The recovery drive will include only the recovery tools and a bootable image, but not a recovery image to use for refreshing or resetting your PC.

4. Insert a USB flash drive into your PC that is at least as large as the size indicated on the screen.
    5. Tap or click the USB drive you would like to use for your recovery drive, then tap or click Next.
    6. Tap or click Create.
      The recovery image and necessary recovery tools will be copied to your USB flash drive, which will take a while depending on your PC and the size of the recovery image.
    7. When the process is finished, do one of the following:
      • If you want to keep the recovery partition on your PC, tap or click Finish.
      • If you want to remove the recovery partition from your PC and free up disk space, tap or click Delete the recovery partition. Then tap or click Delete. This will free up the disk space used to store your recovery image. When the removal is finished, tap or click Finish.
    DO NOT DELETE the recovery partition eg remove above - keep it.

2. System Image
    Using System Image Backup

You can use System Image Backup like you did in previous version of Windows.
    To open System Image Backup

1. Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, then tap Search.
      (If you're using a mouse, point to the bottom-right corner of the screen, move the mouse pointer up, then click Search.)
    2. Enter File History in the search box, tap or click File History, then click System Image Backup.
    or via control panel
    CREATE the image on an external drive
    The external drive MUST be connected when you boot from the recovery drive - in order for the options to include - system image

3. Keep a backup of personal data either via File History or a simple copy and paste

4. Only need to make a new image if there are significant changes

7. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

Thank you for all your help. 1 more question what do you think of avast free antivirus, and do you use programs like that as a stand alone or in cooperated with other products. I just want my computer to be secure.

8. Macboatmaster

Many people like it
    IMHO it is not good for windows 8.1
    There have been and continue to be MANY problems which appear to be attributable to AVAST
    Usually it works OK until a set of updates which change the way some aspects of the system work
    Usually it then results in crashes until Avast is uninstalled and reinstalled
    In fairness to AVAST the same applies to many other 3rd party anti-virus programs on 8/8.1

for example - just one read posts 5 to 15
    http://forums.techguy.org/windows-8/1137083-help-me-identify-what-wrong.html

IMHO the best is Windows Defender included with 8/8.1 free of course and unobtrusive

It will NOT, no more than any other anti-virus offer you total protection from careless browsing
    the click and do not care attitude on torrents and other P2P sites will eventually result in an infection no matter how good the anti-virus

Support that with a FREE Malwarebytes - ensure you opt OUT of the offer of the 30 day trial of the paid for edition - even although it is the free edition you are downloading
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/mwb-download/

Run quick scan on WD at least twice a week
    Run a threat scan on malwarebytes the same

be careful with your browsing and you should be OK

9. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

I avoid sites that could be harmful to the best of my knowledge but I share network with mother in law and her son searches port religiously and I am afraid his actions could infect the network. But I just don't know how it all works. I have had very few computer problems until we moved here now the problems have become very frustrating.

10. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

11. Macboatmaster

No chance of his actions on another computer, even on the same modem/router affecting your computer

12. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

Cool thanks

13. Macboatmaster

you are welcome, if you get a problem, we are here to help

14. brybry831

brybry831 Thread Starter

Ok so I just got back on my computer, and when I went to create a recovery the copy the recovery partition from the pc to recovery drive, was greed and non selectable. When I click next it states, some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your pc can't start use windows installation disc or media. Any suggestions

15. Macboatmaster

Connect the usb drive you are going to use before commence the procedure
    If that does not work
    open a cmd prompt with admin rights and type
    sfc /scannow

cmd prompt with admin rights is opened by right clicking on the Microsoft flag left of taskbar and click on
    Command Prompt - admin

re the recovery partition greyed out - did the computer originally have windows 8 and has been upgraded to 8.1

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1146496

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice