1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Pro - HDMI sound issues

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lord_phobos, Jan 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lord_phobos

lord_phobos Thread Starter

Hi guys, long story short...i'm not getting sound thru my HDMI cables in Windows 8.

now the long story..

I currently have win7 32bit installed on my 1Tb hard drive...sounds works fine.

I am adding a new SSD drive and installed Win7 64bit and then upgraded it to Win8. I could not get the sound to work at all thru the HDMI cables like it does on the other drive/win7 install. I downloaded the newest drives for my ATI Radeon HD 5450 (which is working fine on the other drive) and when that didn't work I also tried the new Realtek drivers. I tried to set everything up like it is under win7 32bit (except with updated 64bit drivers). After about 6-8 hours of messing with it I gave up and started from scratch again.

So I reinstalled Win7 64bit again from scratch and YAY!! the sound works right away...but then I do a windows update and the sound stops working. I then downloaded new drivers and could not get it working again. So I figure I'll just do the upgrade to Win8 Pro again and see what happens. I upgrade to Win8 PRo and YAY!!!!!! the sound works. I then downloaded and added the Windows Media Player add-on and now I have no sound again and am back to square one like the first time I tried to upgrade.

anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Nothing changed this time except I installed Win Media player add-on.

thanks.

2. solemnknight

solemnknight

Hi lord_phobos

I know this may seem a bit basic but can you confirm you have selected the correct sound output device, you should get a few options depending on your hardware setup. I've had a few people with a similar issue and the solution was to simply select the correct sound output device.
    Hopefully this helps, you may have already checked all this but sometimes, the most simply of solutions fixes the biggest pain in the backside.
    The good news is, the issue is software related and not faulty hardware.

3. lord_phobos

thanks for the reply!
    I believe I do have the correct output device selected (are you referring to the playback devices under the sound tab in the control panel?). If so I have the HDMI option selected.

what gets me was it worked after I upgraded to win8 fine and the stop working after I added the window media center pack.

4. solemnknight

solemnknight

Hmmm, difficult to diagnose due to it being a software issue (at least I think it's a software problem!).
    Since installing the Media Player addon, have you tried uninstalling your sound card device drivers and then reinstalling (make sure you have the latest drivers)? This might help to reset what ever conflict or issue your getting.

5. lord_phobos

so I have updated to the latest drivers for my sound/video card from AMD (ATI Radeon HD 5450) and have the latest AMD High Defination Audio driver install 8.0.0.8808.

I still am getting no sound. I plugged some speakers into the regular speaker jack and switch over to them to just see if I can get any sound and they work fine. When I set the default back to my HDMI output I get no sound. When I click the test button for it the little sound bar beside it goes up and down like it is sending sound but nothing is coming out.

I know the sound card works because when I plug in my old hard drive that still has Win7 installed everything works fine. It's just not working on my new SSD hard drive with a fresh Win8 install. And it did work fine when I installed Win8...it just stopped working when I added the Windows Media Center add-on.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086479

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice