1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 8 Pro reboots after cold start and sleep

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by handyworks, Dec 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. handyworks

handyworks Thread Starter

Hi and Seasons Greetings.
    I'm having a problem with my installation of Windows 8 Pro. After a cold start or starting from sleep the system always executes a restart (error message = DRIVER_POWER_STATE_FAILURE,) then reboots and runs OK until it is switched off. This installation is a clean install on the C: partition changing from Win XP 32 to Windows 8 Pro 64-Bit. (Retail version from Microsoft on DVD)
    The M/B, matched Corsair ram and processor are all new for the change to Win 8.

I have installed BlueScreenView and this pointed to the following files as potentially the problem on the last restart, but I don't know what to do about them.
    1. atapi.sys
    2. hal.dll
    3. ntoskrnl.e

I have flashed the m/b bios with the latest version and upgraded all drivers that I can find.

Help to solve the problem would be really appreciated.

I've included the results from TSG SysInfo below. Strangely it states that Windows Defender is disabled, but Windows Defender says it is running OK.

Many thanks,

Noel.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8 Pro, 64 bit
    Processor: AMD FX(tm)-6100 Six-Core Processor, AMD64 Family 21 Model 1 Stepping 2
    Processor Count: 6
    RAM: 8173 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 550 Ti, 1024 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 276932 MB, Free - 222952 MB; D: Total - 199996 MB, Free - 163995 MB; F: Total - 76316 MB, Free - 35225 MB; G: Total - 28597 MB, Free - 28372 MB; X: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 472993 MB;
    Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd., GA-970A-DS3
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Attached Files:

2. dai

dai

what power supply

make
    model
    wattage

check for a bios update

the 9f error in win8 comes back as this

ERROR_BAD_THREADID_ADDR
    159 (0x9F)

The address for the thread ID is not correct.

3. handyworks

handyworks Thread Starter

Thanks for help with this problem. In reply to your questions.

what power supply

make = OCZ
    model = OCZ500SXS2
    wattage = 500

check for a bios update = Just checked again, and I'm running the latest (F6.00).

Since posting this query I have spent some 7 hours online with Microsoft support in an attempt to fix the problem including 2 installs. The best they came up with was "The computer maybe incompatible!". I'm waiting on their Research Dept to come back to me. I then I spent some time on the problem starting with the system stripped to the bare minimum. With just the Graphics card and HDD connected the system boots fine and is stable. With the HP 1040 DVD IDE drive connected connected via an IDE to SATA converter, 9 times out of 10 it reboots within a couple of minutes of starting, then is stable. With an Edimax wireless card it also reboots every time, but then is stable. I have Installed a Tenda W322P+ V2.0 Wireless PCI network card and it boots fine and is stable without the DVD drive connected. So currently it looks as though the DVD drive IDE converter combo is the villain in the plot.

4. dai

dai

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice