1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 8 questions

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by preet_kumar, Jan 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. preet_kumar

preet_kumar Thread Starter

I have Dell inspiron 14Z, running windows 8.

1) When the computer goes to sleep (either when I put the lid down, or the computer has been inactive for the time that I have set), it does not wake up on pressing any key or moving the finger over the touch pad. I have to repeatedly press the power button, and then it boots. How can I resolve this problem?

2) Sometimes, an open window opens to full screen automatically. How can I prevent this from happening?

3) How can one put the computer in hibernation, and then how does one get it out of hibernation. I mostly use the computer with power plugged in. So hibernation probably would not offer any advantage. I would still like to know the answer.

Thanks,
    Preet

2. dai

dai

with win8 sleep mode =a version of hybrid hibernation and it takes time for it to come back up

look in the power settings

3. preet_kumar

Dear dai,

Thank you very much for your response. On the same issue, I would appreciate help on the following.

1) How long (roughly) does it take for windows 8 to wake up? meanwhile does one have to keep on pressing some key, window key e.g, till the computer wakes up?

2) Does 'hybrid of sleep and hibernation' mean some memory contents get written to the hard drive ? One would assume that logically, the programmers would have programmed to have open applications written to the hard drive. Is that the case.

In my older dell laptop (almost 5 years old), even coming out of hibernation was faster than waking of this computer.

Thanks,
    Preet

4. dai

dai

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't have much in the way of actual help, but ...

1. After I put my laptop to sleep by closing the lid it is ready for me to type my password two seconds after raising the lid. Windows 7 and Windows 8 are the same for this. Whether the keyboard or touchpad awakens from Sleep should be settable. If you need to use the power button one press should do it.

2. Are you sure you are not accidentally doing something? I sometimes accidentally double click on the top border, which results in full screen (another double click restores it).

3. To enable or disable Hibernation: in Power Options click on 'Choose what the power buttons do' - near the top click on 'Change settings that are currently unavailable' - scroll to the bottom of that window. If you can think of a more obscure way of doing this I think Microsoft has a job for you. :D

Even when plugged in hibernation is worth while. While Sleep uses very little power Hibernation uses none, and you will not lose work if there is a power failure. I think that the only way to get a hibernating computer's attention is with the power button.

6. preet_kumar

Dear terrynet,

Thanks for your response.

I am not accidently doing anything, I am sure of it. For the last two days, waking the computer has not been a problem. Touching the touch pad awakens it. Once, just one touch of the power button woke it.

However, I do not know what I did that now it does not seem to be a problem.

One other question. Does using the computer plugged in almost all the time, have any adverse effect on the battery life?

One would think it should not. Bot some time ago a dell technician told me that it shortens battery life.

Thanks.
    Preet

7. preet_kumar

Dear dai,

thanks for you response. The problem seems to have disappeared (I do not know what I did that led to this result.) Waking the dell inspiron in the last two days, takes very little time. May be it has to do with the hardware rather than windows 8 as to how long it takes to wake.

The links you provided have been very informative about windows8. I was wondering what happened to the Dos prompt.
    One of the links described how to get to the dos prompt.

Thanks once again.

Preet

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    My opinion and my experience with laptop batteries over the past 12 1/2 years ...

Plugged in almost all the time while using the computer is fine. Just "exercise" the battery from time to time. Good to run it maybe monthly until it complains about low battery.

Plugged in when the battery does not need to be charged and the computer is off, hibernating or sleeping will kill a battery quicker than anything else short of deliberate mayhem.

9. preet_kumar

Tank you very much, teerynett. I shall do as you advise.

Preet

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086150

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice