1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 recovery issue!

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by lehatche, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

I have a computer that when sold had windows 8 on it. it was later upgraded to windows 8.1. This is a Dell Inspiron 3537 laptop. It is in need of a factory reset, the owners did not create recovery disk. And the recovery program does not work after the 8.1 upgrade! I am told the recovery partition is corrupt or missing. is there still a way I can use the win. 8 recovery partition?

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    You appear to have a Dell Inspiron 15 3537 laptop.
    What's the exact "service tag" number and/or "express service code" number on it?
    What's the exact Windows version on its Certificate-Of-Authenticity sticker?

From what I can determine, that model laptop originally came with Windows 7 Home Premium or Professional, 32-bit or 64-bit.

If you live in the U.S.A., a Windows 7 factory restore/system recovery disc kit appears to be available for it.

------------------------------------------------------------------

3. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

ST# 82zzqy1 It has a windows 8 sticker on the back. This laptop was purchased from a rent to own company "Aaron's" it was supposed to be brand new still in the box according to the owner. I am at a lose here, If it actually came with windows 8 I can not prove or disprove. I have been reading that there has been problems that the recovery does not work after an upgrade to 8.1 on Dell machines. I was hoping someone might know of a way to start the windows 8 recovery other then through the OS. That is assuming it shipped with windows 8!

4. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to service tag number 82ZZQY1, here is the support site that's assigned only to that laptop.

It's actually a Dell Inspiron 3521 and not a Dell Inspiron 3537, which you stated earlier and why I replied with what I did.

According to its original system configuration section, it was purchased in November 2013 in the United States and did come with Windows 8 64-bit.

It has full driver support for Windows 8 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit.

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you click on "Manuals - Me And My Dell", the manual will appear in PDF format.

Note: You need to have Adobe Reader or some other PDF reader installed in order to open and view the manual.

Start reading on page 73.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Since you live in the United States, you should be able to purchase the factory restore/system recovery disc kit for it from here.

Navigate through the menu as you see in my image, then follow the instructions.

Capture.JPG

5. lehatche

lehatche Thread Starter

Thank you for all the advice! I will talk to the owners to see what they want to do! I might have transposed something when I typed in service tag #. Also is this company reputable? I have always gotten restore disc from manufacturers.

6. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Several others here have purchased a Dell factory restore disc kit from that company when there was no other option available.

Since that computer is only 2 years old, Dell customer service may have a factory restore disc kit for it.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1160870

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice