1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Regularly rendered unusable by severe graphical glitching

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by Haggisu, Jul 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Haggisu

Haggisu Thread Starter

Hi, this is a problem that has began in the last week

Basically I have an issue where the monitor on my laptop goes completely nuts. Often screen fragments and shows different tabs, or desktop icons appearing over the top of tabs that are open. Other times large parts of the screen go black or white. The charge/sound/internet icons may appear at the top instead of the bottom of the screen. Displays that shouldn't be visible unless the start menu or control bar are open can be seen.

Here are some pictures of the most recent episode of glitching: http://imgur.com/a/GgXKs

When this happens I can't click on anything to open new programmes/tabs. If I try to open things using the keyboard (like task manager or start menu) then the glitching gets worse and the screen goes black and white. I have no option but to switch the laptop off at the power button.

This happens episodically and seemingly is completely random. I can use my computer for hours before it begins to glitch. I have no idea what brings it on, or why it began to do this now. As such I don't know where to even begin looking for problems. I'm not even sure if this is a hardware or software problem. The only thing I could think to do was to scan for viruses and Avast couldn't find any problems.

I'll provide any details you think are important. I am using Windows 8 and a HP Envy dv7 laptop.

If someone could at least point me in the right direction that would be great.

Thanks,

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Tabvla

Tabvla

3. Haggisu

Haggisu Thread Starter

Sure thing

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 8
    RAM: 16273 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4000, -1984 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 933649 MB, Free - 169025 MB; D: Total - 18974 MB, Free - 2330 MB;
    Motherboard: Hewlett-Packard, 181D
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

4. Tabvla

Tabvla

Is it possible that this issue could be caused by something as simple as a bad connection..?

If you work the lid of the Laptop up-and-down and put a little right and a little left pressure on the lid does that make anything happen..?

Would you be confident to open the Laptop and check the connections..?

T.

5. KnuckIes

KnuckIes

I don't know about the first or the last pics, but the second one looks like the taskbar and Charms bar except screwed up, so it might not be something like a bad connection. Still you should try the suggestion in the post above.

6. KnuckIes

KnuckIes

It could be a problem with the graphics driver, too. Definitely not a physical problem with the GPU, since Intel HD Graphics is built into the MOBO/CPU (like a loose connection between the graphics card and MOBO, which isn't possible with Intel HD Graphics).

First of all, use System File Checker to scan for any corrupt files: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

Then, make sure that your graphics drivers are updated. Search for "drivers for <your EXACT laptop model and brand>" and click the link to the website of the computer's manufacturer. The latest driver should be there.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1151721

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice