1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 release preview.

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by leroys1000, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. leroys1000

leroys1000 Banned Thread Starter

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    iam DLing now. Got a spare drive for my Toshiba Laptop, will try it out on that.

3. Compiler

Compiler

Wow... looks like it made you speechless, eh Dustyjay?

I *WAS* open to the Metro, seemed like a good idea... until its actually being used. It is frustrating to operate.

So far, every person who checks out my demo machine... after about 10~15 minutes, they hate it.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    I am so far not a fan of Metro. Not having a touch screen is one drawback. I really am not thrilled by the tiled look either. I go straight to the desktop view when I open Win 8. Also the Fn keys on my Toshiba do not work with the release preview.

I have Win 8 installed on a spare hard drive for my laptop, so I play around with it when there are not other things I normally use my laptop for in my plans.

Running from the Desktop on my laptop, I am pleased so far with Win 8. MS Office 2010 Ultimate runs flawlessly. And my second favorite Media Player (video) VLC works flawlessly for me.

I had problems with my wireless under Consumer Preview, it did not work on my Toshiba Laptop. Release Preview the Drivers were installed with the OS, and wireless works. Of course I haven't checked for Win 8 Drivers from Toshiba lately.

WIth out considering Metro, I like Windows 8 so far. There is a small bit of relearning to do with it, but for my purposes finding the answers as questions arise are not a problem.

I also have to say that I am not sure yet If I am going to go out and spend a over $1000 putting Windows 8 on 5 computers. Especially considering I still have 4 Un-used copies on Win 7 Pro and 2 Win 7 Home Premium. I will probably Get one Copy of Win 8, and probably it will be one of the versions with WMC.

I will have to admit, I haven't been able to play around with it for about a week.

5. alphanumeric

alphanumeric

Metro isn't very keyboard, mouse friendly and doesn't support multi monitor setups either. Metro will only run on one monitor and you can only snap two apps at a time. If your monitor is big enough that is. I have two 19 LCD's but they are not wide screen so no snap for me. The pluses don't outweigh the negatives for me to ever want to upgrade my desktops or laptop from Windows 7. On the plus side I like being able to extend my taskbar across both of my monitors and being able to tell at a glance which program is on which monitor. Finally being able to put different wallpapers on each monitor without having to install a third party app is nice too. < What took you so long Microsoft?

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1055336

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice