1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 to windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by mikeatic, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

I don't know if this a Windows 8, Windows 7 or Sony duo question, so apologies if I'm in the wrong thing. My problem is I have bought a Sony Vaio duo 2 with Windows 8 pre-installed. I have a legally registered Windows 7 pro which I much prefer. Will all the apps, touch screen and other gadgets still work on the Duo if I install Windows pro instead of 8?

2. saikee

saikee

I think M$ invented Win8 for the purpose of using the touch screen. It went as far as providing one desktop for the normal screen & keyboard and another for touch screen use only but one can hoop between the two.

My advise in this case is to use Win8 to resize the partition, say shrink it by 50%, and install Win7. This will initally leads to booting to Win7 only.

There has to be a bit of work to do the dual booting as Win8 uses a different version of bootmgr. So once having both Win7 and Win8, but bootable only to Win7, you can rescue Win8 and use it to dual boot the two.

3. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply Saikee, but I think that is too much for me to bother with. I was hoping for a straight install of windows 7 with the tablet retaining the good parts of 8. Ha! Knowing Microsoft I should know this is too much to expect. I guess in time I will get used to the faults of 8 as I did with 7.

4. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    You can have a straight install of Windows 7, just delete the existing partition with Windows 8(after making recovery discs) and install only 7. You may have change the BIOS to disable Secure BIOS or to enable legacy BIOS support to be able to boot from the Windows 7 DVD. Also make sure that Sony has drivers for Windows 7 so that the hardware works fine on it, if Sony has drivers for the touch screen and other hardware then you'll be able to use those.

Not sure how you expect to use Windows 8 features & apps on Windows 7 though, you can't wipe out one O/S with another but still selectively keep all the features you like from the one you wiped out, that just doesn't make any sense at all. Any software features unique to Windows 8 will not be available, touch does work in Windows 7 but its less designed/friendly for touch use than Windows 8 is.

If you miss the Start button you can easily put that back using Classic Shell: http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

5. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

Thanks for that. Sad to say that the start button went in on day one. As for the rest, I have accepted that I WILL have to use Windows 8. I now have a problem in that when I tried to refresh the computer I was told that some Windows parts were missing, but that is another thread.:)

6. bbearren

bbearren

Actually, the Windows 7 loader can be used to boot into Windows 8. Easy BCD and some editing.

7. saikee

saikee

bbearren,

If you are talking about third part software like EasyBCD then using Win7's boot loader to boot Win8 may be a smoke screen.

As far as I know the technically requirement is to have Win8 boot sector code in the boot partition and that can be arranged by Win8's installation DVD without using a 3rd party software. It is is a bit more challenging. Win7's boot sector code just can't do it when I tried.

Add to this hurdle the hard disk could be partitioned in GPT and the mobo may have uefi formware so it could still be quite messy in the end.

8. bbearren

bbearren

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

9. saikee

saikee

bbearren,

What I meant was EasyBCD did not use Win7 boot loader's booting code to boot Win8. It replaces it either from its own or making use one directly from Win8.

The whole point is if Win7 is able to boot Win8 then there would have been no need to use EasyBCD, would it not? Afterall Vista, Win7 and Win8 all use the same boot loader called bootmgr.exe.

10. bbearren

bbearren

I'm using the Windows 7 BCD Store to get the boot menu, rather than using the Windows 8 BCD Store; I don't care for the Windows 8 version. The actual loading of the OS is done by Windows\System32\Winload.exe from the system drive of the Windows version I choose from the boot menu/manager/loader, whatever you wish to call it.

This video is what I'm talking about.

11. saikee

saikee

If one installed Xp, Win7 and then Win8 the MS systems tend to use the first Xp partition to store the boot loaders. Win7 and Win8 partitions themselves do not have boot loader (and no BCD store) inside.

Thus inside the Xp partition the boot sector code is Win8 in the final stage but that area was occupied by Xp first and then later by Win7 until Win8 comes along to overwrite it.

Thus the BCD store obtained from a Win7 partition does not necessarily it belongs to Win7 in a multi Windows installation.

12. mikeatic

mikeatic Thread Starter

???????????

I'm going to see if an easier answer is available, such as one that I can understand. Buying Windows 8 pro and installing that for example:-D

13. bbearren

bbearren

I didn't install XP on this machine. It came with Windows 7 Home Premium. I added a second hard drive and installed Windows 7 Ultimate as a dual boot. When I bought Windows 8 Pro Upgrade from MS, I upgraded the Windows 7 Home Premium installation with a clean install.

But I don't install an OS in the usual manner, so I can have more control over what goes where. On my Dell Latitude E5420, I did a format and reinstall before I ever used the machine, so that isn't a factory install, either. It came with Windows 7 Professional installed. After a couple of months, I upgraded it to Windows 7 Ultimate.

And as the enclosed screenshot indicates, my laptop does indeed have a BCD Store in the Windows 7 partition on the system drive (C:\Boot\BCD). The boot manager is on the root of C: drive. One does not necessarily have to do everything the Microsoft way.

[​IMG]

After the Windows 8 Pro Upgrade, I didn't care for the way Windows 8 handled booting into Windows 7. I'm sure it's related to the Secure Boot technology (which I don't employ). My desktop actually has three BCD Stores in different partitions. I'm using an edited Windows 7 BCD Store to dual boot.

As the video in post #10 clearly shows, Windows 8 is being launched from a Windows 7 boot menu, not the Windows 8 boot menu. The Windows 7 boot manager calls Windows\System32\Winload.exe in the Windows 8 system drive, and that's what actually loads Windows 8.

Attached Files:

14. saikee

saikee

mikeatic,

I guess you initially wanting to change to Win7 is now abandoned.

Your PC has a pre-installed Win8 but you think some of the components are missing. So you are thinking of buying another Win8 pro to replace the pre-installed version.

I can't see why not. I got a free trial version of Win8 which lapsed so I went out to buy a Win8 and installed in its place.

You may be able to save the Win8 cost if you check the service tag number at the back of the PC. I also bought a Win8 Tablet and was told in the event of losing the system I could have call the manufacturer who could restore the system using my service tag.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083692

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice