1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 Upgrade & Missing Files

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by [email protected], Sep 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. compnut85@ms

[email protected] Thread Starter

Hello!

It has been a long time since I have been on these forums, but I would really appreciate some help.

My parents 5 year old HP Touchsmart was struggling with Vista so I had the great idea to upgrade them to Windows 8. Well, this has turned out to be a really big ordeal.

First, I selected the option to keep all personal files and such, and when Windows 8 was usable, only the most recent year or so of photos from their digital camera was available, many, many pictures are missing. I tried the Windows.Old folder, did a general search, tried unhiding the files, tried using Recova, to no avail. Any ideas in this regard?

I am accessing the harddrive through an external harddrive case due to the computer immediately getting a virus upon being upgraded to 8 (was it dormant in Vista and then it ran on 8 ??) and the computer crashed completely.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

My first guess would be that the photos that are missing were not in the users documents, pictures folder
    I cannot understand how, with respect, you did not take the precaution of backing up the personal data first

As regards the
    I suggest you post in the Malware forum
    http://forums.techguy.org/virus-other-malware-removal/943214-everyone-must-read-before-posting.html

3. compnut85@ms

[email protected] Thread Starter

Yes, I was being a bit careless, but I figured since it said it would keep the personal files and such it would be no problem. Next time, I will certainly back it all up regardless.

After doing a thorough search with all files unhidden and using the search tool, I still cannot find them in another location. Is there anywhere specific I should look, or has this happened to anyone else?

I am going to completely reformat the drive and start over once I have recovered all I can, so the virus type-thing should be a nonissue.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Well if they are not there your only chance as I see it is recovery of data using one of the free programs and of course, the chance is small as the drive has been written over

What I meant was that if the pictures that are missing were not in your parents user account folder, but had been stored in another folder, then they would NOT be saved.

see this
    http://winsupersite.com/windows-8/windows-8-tip-upgrade-previous-windows-version

so as it only keeps what was in the place it expects to find your personal files, it would not keep them if for instance they were under a folder created on the root of C and named pictures etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1108816

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice