1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 wifi connection

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by jemkay, Feb 14, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jemkay

jemkay Thread Starter

I have just bought a new Acer laptop with Windows 8 installed and am having a problem connecting to my network. It shows full signal but when I try to connect it just says 'cannot connect to this network'. My router is downstairs but I have a network cable which we plugged in and bingo it works. We then took the laptop downstairs and right next to the router the wifi works but as soon as we move 2 paces away it drops the connection. In the house we have 4 laptops and a desktop all connecting to the wifi with no problem on various OS from vista to windows 7. Our customers can connect no problem. Then we plugged in a wireless dongle to the Acer and it worked upstairs, downstairs outside. Acer Technical Support cant find the answer we have been on line to them for 2 days. Can anyone shed any light on this? I am about to go to my local McDonalds to check the connection there.

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I hesitate to reply if tech support can't find an answer in two days, but the "obvious" thing is that the antenna is broken or the antenna leads are loose. If the wireless card is easily accessible through a cover on the laptop's bottom make sure the antenna leads are secure. One woman who had the same issue with a new laptop did this and found that one lead was just sitting there. She pressed it into place and had no more problems.

If it's not that simple, or if the card is not easily accessible (some require removing the keyboard and I would not want to tackle that job) I understand trying on another network just to make sure, but then insist that Acer fixes or replaces promptly. (Easy for me to say. :D )

3. jemkay

jemkay Thread Starter

would it still see the network if that was the case? It sees it and has full signal

4. jemkay

jemkay Thread Starter

The other network connection is for our own peace of mind before we insist they replace it. We have even done a factory reset (at their instruction) will be off to Mcdonalds soon will let you know.

5. jemkay

jemkay Thread Starter

It wouldn't connect to the McDonalds Open network so the problem is with the computer not the router as Acer have been suggesting. Not waiting for Acer customer services.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I jumped to the (wrong) conclusion that the signal got very weak. :( Sorry.

Are you measuring the signal strength with something like the Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector?

Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from Acer's web site. I think that Windows 8 sometimes "updates" the driver with an incorrect version.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1089460

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice