1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 wireless problem

Discussion in 'Networking' started by schmargit, Jan 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. schmargit

schmargit Thread Starter

I got a new laptop, and it has windows 8, and it's not connecting to any of my college's wifi network things. It lets me get to the point where I enter my username and password, but then it says it's "verifying and connecting" for ages and then says it can't connect. I have all the most recent drivers and everything, I think. This is a really huge problem, and no one at IT could help at all. Anyone?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Make sure you have the latest wireless driver from the laptop manufacturer's web site.

Explain username/password. This is the type of network that your browser gets redirected to a page that requires username/password for the network?

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista and 7 and 8.

Start - All Programs - Accessories and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt. [For Windows 8: <Windows Logo> + x - Command Prompt(Admin)]

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log

Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log

Reboot the machine.

3. schmargit

schmargit Thread Starter

The username and password are to get onto the wifi network. They're not in the browser but in the same blue rectangle thing where the wifi networks are. After I enter them and it does the whole verifying and connecting thing, it says "Windows can't verify the server's identity" but then it gives me the option to connect anyway, but that doesn't work.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I'm not familiar with that type of security. Can't think of anything other than a possible firewall issue.

What firewall or security suite is, or ever was, on the system? (Include pre-installed "trials")

5. schmargit

schmargit Thread Starter

As far as I can tell it's just Windows Firewall.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    What wireless adapter is it? (Look in Device Manager under Network Adapters if you don't know)

7. schmargit

schmargit Thread Starter

It says:
    Microsoft Kernel Debug Network Adapter
    Qualcomm Atheros AR9485 802.11b/g/n WiFi Adapter
    Realtek PCle FE Family Controller

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You could try the wireless driver direct from the Atheros site. But if it doesn't work any better go back to the PC manufacturer's one.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1086970

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice