1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 8 wont load past login screen

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ryanpainter, Aug 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ryanpainter

ryanpainter Thread Starter

I have a Toshiba Satellite C850 - 1GL laptop with windows 8.1 and every time i try to load windows i get to the login screen and the laptop crashes. I cannot enter a password to access my account, restart or anything. I have to turn the laptop off with the power button.
    I managed to access the bios and used a windows 8 disk, but i can't use any of the options for example automatic repair, refresh and system restore. I get a message saying the drive where windows is installed is locked. unlock the drive and try again.
    I try to use the reset pc option but I get a message saying unable to reset your pc, a required drive partition is missing.
    Has anyone got any ideas?

2. John Burns

John Burns

3. ryanpainter

This has been happening for a couple of months now. Even if that was the problem i can't access windows to uninstall the updates.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

What is the boot device normally F12 or in the BIOS - which I presume is UEFI
    Also from the disc can you access cmd prompt

5. ryanpainter

Do you mean what do i press to access bios? I press F8 and F2 at the same time at that seems to do the trick.

I will try and access cmd prompt and let you know.

6. Macboatmaster

From the windows disc see this
    access cmd prompt

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/2755-command-prompt-boot-startup-windows-8-a.html

AND on the login screen, does it crash when you start to enter your password or immediately on the login screen
    On the login screen, if you have chance click the power button bottom right, hold down the shift key and click restart
    that will if it works take you to the options for the troubleshoot, you then want advanced options and then cmd prompt

7. ryanpainter

I can access cmd prompt from the windows disk.

Once the login screen appears it shows the users and the button in the bottom right. I literally get one click which could be to type in my password or to press the button in the bottom right and then the laptop crashes. The screen freezes and nothing will happen after that.

8. Macboatmaster

At the cmd prompt which will be on X:\Sources>
    change that to C:
    at that prompt type
    chkdsk /r

what happens please post any response

9. ryanpainter

I have scanned but there was no way of copying and pasting the results so i have had to write them down. Sorry for any grammar errors.

CHKDSK is verifying files.
    402432 file records processed.
    File verification completed
    3593 large file records processed
    0 bad file records processed.

CHKDSK is verifying indexes
    466884 index entries processed
    Index verification completed
    0 unindexed files scanned
    0 unindexed files recovered

CHKDSK is verifying security descriptors
    CHKDSK is completing the security descriptor stream
    Security descriptor verification completed
    32227 data files processed
    CHKDSK is verifying Usn Jounal
    37267808 USN bytes processed
    Usn Jounal verification completed

CHKDSK is verifying file data

(i had to just not down the files and copy them here, i couldn't copy everything though. Any problems let me know)

Users Ryan Appdata
    Users Supha Pictures
    Users Supha Skydrive
    Progra Avg
    Users Ryan Appdata
    Progra Common Intel Medias LibMex
    Users Ryan Document
    Users Public Videos
    Progra Window Microsoft. Vclibs

402416 files processed
    File data verification completed.

CHKDSK is verifying free space
    91574114 free clusters processed
    Free space verification is complete
    Adding 23 bad clusters to the bad clusters file.
    Correcting errors in the volume Bitmap
    Windows has made corrections to the file system.
    No further action is required.

476733439 kb total disk space
    109847884 kb in 140510 files
    104748 kb in 32230 indexes
    200 kb in bad sectors
    484171 kb in use by the system
    65536 kb occupied by the log file
    366296436 kb available on disk
    4096 kb bytes in each allocation unit
    119183359 kb total allocation units on disk
    91574109 kb allocation units available on disk

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50.

Thanks

10. Macboatmaster

Your hard disk is failing see the results

Your only option is to back up your important data to a flash pen
    Then from the flash pen to another computer

Purchase a new hard drive and attempt a clone of the existing hard drive to the new hard drive with that connected USB

Then replace the existing drive with the cloned new drive

Whether or not the clone will succeed with the bad sectors on the hard drive only an attempt will tell

If the computer is still under warrantry that is your first call

The fact that the chkdsk reports that corrections have been made to the file system does NOT mean the disk is now OK
    The bad sectors are not repairable and as you can see that chkdsk - added more

11. ryanpainter

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to finally know whats wrong with my laptop

My laptop is out of warranty and there's nothing important to back up which is one less job i guess.

I have a few questions if that's ok?

Regarding a new drive does it need to be exactly the same?, Or does the size need to be the same or greater?

How do i clone a drive? I can replace one in my laptop but never cloned. Do i need to download software onto the laptop, am i guessing i can connect the new disk to the laptop? If i got the same issue on a new drive would it be a software issue?

What happens when you put a blank hard drive in your computer, whats the first screen you will see? I was thinking of buying windows 7 anyway and could i just install this?

Thanks

12. Macboatmaster

Firstly thanks for expressing your appreciation, that is always in itself appreciated and makes it a pleasure to assist you

Please answer the following and I will then be better able to advise you further
    1. What OS was on the laptop when it was new - I think it came with Windows 8 - 64 bit

2. It is a 500GB hard drive and you may as well replace it with the same capacity as looking at your present drive you have ample free space approx. 370GB

3. To take out the drive please see this it is accessible from a cover on the underneath of the laptop
    http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/cru2603c20000r01.htm

Then you must ensure you are buying the correct 2.5 " laptop drive.
    They vary in thickness.
    I think yours is 9.5mm
    Here is an example
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toshiba-MQ0...408810829&sr=1-2&keywords=hard+drives+Toshiba

Here is another example at 1TB
    http://www.ebuyer.com/339395-toshiba-1tb-internal-hard-drive-mq01abd100

I do not advise you go larger than that.

4. To clone it you will need to connect that new drive to a usb socket on the computer and will therefore need some form of enclosure or docking station to do so
    Here is an example
    http://www.ebuyer.com/173389-startech-external-hard-drive-enclosure-black-sat2510bu2e

there are cheaper ones but unless the budget is tight I advise you to go for one with two USB leads using one for power to the drive and one for data, as the USB power on laptops is frequently limited.
    If you buy one with just the one lead it may well work, but if it only has the one, there is no way of then using two to that enclosure

5. NOW to the clone, and this is where the problem may lie, due to the state of the hard drive there is no way I can assure you this is going to work.

If it does not then we may be able to progress it another way
    You install a clone software I use Easeus Todo there are others, Many people use Macrium Reflect
    Both are free

Some use Acronis - personally I have never liked Acronis but that is only my opinion

Here is the download for Easeus
    http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm

That from the Easeus site requires you to insert your email
    It did not previously require that, but this is becoming more prevalent with the FREE software
    If you do not wish to do so you can use this download it is the same software

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/easeus_todo_backup_free_edition.html

Rather than explain now the full procedure you install that on the PRESENT existing drive and that of course is where you may well have the problem

CHECK NOW if after the repairs of the chkdsk the computer behaves any differently

If you cannot get an install of that software to clone the drive to the NEW hard drive, then your options are
    A. Come back here and I will guide you through another possible solution where we clone from a CD boot
    B. Install Windows 8 on the new drive from your disc and copy any personal data from the old disk installed in the enclosure
    C. Buy the Windows 8 recovery disc from Toshiba if the one you have will not install
    IF the laptop did come with Windows 8 the disc from Toshiba will install and work with the licence key embedded in the firmware of your laptop
    D. Go the way you suggested although I cannot see merit in Windows 7 and it will cost you FAR MORE than the disc of 8 from Toshiba

Here is the link to start the enquiry re recovery disc from Toshiba
    https://support.toshiba.com/repair

13. ryanpainter

Sorry for the late reply. I have been really busy then went on holiday.

Thanks so much for all the information. Its a really well explained guide you have given me and to add links I can only say a big thank you.

Just to let you know the laptop loads up ok now, I can do anything, watch movies, tv, downloads etc. It does crash sometimes and that's mainly on internet explorer where it doesn't respond and you just have to wait a while or press ctrl alt and delete.

I am guessing I still need to get a new hard drive. So I will read through all the information again and let you know any answers you need to know.

Thanks

14. Macboatmaster

This is because of the chkdsk / repair

It will however go back to how it was - either sooner or later - good luck with it please do come back with any questions for further advice you need in the progress of the replacement hard drive

15. ryanpainter

The laptop did go back to how it was. Gradually it got slower and kept crashing etc.

The only copy of windows 8 i have on cd is a copy version from ebay but i don't have a serial code with it. Currently i can only access my laptop through a cd someone gave me with software on it that loads up and has a few programs on it like firefox etc. But you can't do much.

A new hard drive and docking machine seem quite cheap. I need to get the software on the laptop somehow then? If the hard drive does clone over to the new one and all is successful then will windows 8 just load up and i won't need a serial code? Just woundering is cloning the drive just to save documents, pics etc?

I don't have any documents or anything i need to save from the hard drive. So if i can get the disk from toshiba, could i put the new hard drive in and then install from the toshiba disk? Is that easier?

I tried that toshiba link you gave me but the website said i am not in the region. I have tried the uk one but i can't seem to find anything about a recovery disk, i will keep looking.

Thanks

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1131731

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice