1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95 and Internet problems

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by moinkansas, Dec 13, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. moinkansas

moinkansas Thread Starter

I'm having the following problems with my Windows 95 system: 1) The check boxes in all my programs appear as odd graphics, making it impossible to tell what is checked and what isn't. 2) Buttons and "menu arrows" in all programs now display as single-digit numbers or the letter 'r.' 3) Unless I shut down from the Close Program option, my dial-up connection doesn't disconnect, and I then get error messages when I try to use any Internet-related programs after rebooting.

When this started: I was making a change to my address book in Netscape 6.21 when my computer froze. When I rebooted and tried to use Netscape, the welcome screen came up. I closed everything down and rebooted, but the same thing happened. I ran Norton Utilities System Check and Registry Optimizer, but there appeared to be no problem. I ran Norton Unerase and restored a file from my ISP. Again, nothing changed. During these reboots, the disconnect problems and Internet program error messages started.

When I re-entered my information in Netscape, though the files were still there, my mail boxes had disappeared. My Netscape preferences had reverted to their default settings. Since I'd been having a lot of problems with Netscape's email client, I downloaded and installed Eudora 5.1. It worked beautifully. I rebooted once or twice with no problems. Then, when I booted up this morning, the strange graphics appeared.

I've tested my computer at PC Pitstop, and twice scanned all files with McAfee AV using the latest virus definitions. There doesn't seem to be a problem there. (I checked the hard disks separately on PC Pitstop.) I changed the display resolution with no effect. I downloaded and tried to reinstall Prodigy's software. The first two times I did this, it said there was no browser installed, though I use Netscape and IE 5.5. I'm about to give it a third try, but I thought I'd check in here first.

The reason I'm not reformatting my hard drive is I no longer have my Windows 95 CD, and I'm expecting 98 to arrive any day now.

Sorry this is so long. Any help would be much appreciated.

2. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Before you reformat do these things...

My advice is go to housecalls & run the free online virus scanner.
    Click here to do so!

for a free virus scanner you can add to your system..( I do not care for McAfee ) go get AVG. Click here to download AVG

and to protect yourself from hackers etc... Get Zone Alarm
    Click here the free version is fine

then there is spyware ... go get Ad-Aware
    Click here to download it

this should help get you in pretty good shape

Savvy :)

cleanup http://www.piersontech.com/07-CleanHardDrive.htm

then post back & let us know if the problem is still there

3. gsbham

gsbham

I would upgrade to Win 98 before you start troubleshooting. 95 is no longer supported anyways.

4. moinkansas

Well, my computer's virus-free and squeaky clean, but it's still acting weird. Fortunately, Windows 98 came in today's mail. Anyone have any hints on reformatting? <g>

5. Nick Scott

Nick Scott

Have you deleted any fonts lately?

Windows uses one called Marlett to create the buttons, up and down arrows in scrollbars etc, and if it can't find it you get some very weird behaviour indeed.

6. moinkansas

Nope, Marlett's still there. Smart idea, though...Thanks.

7. PLansdowne

PLansdowne

8. moinkansas

That was it -- Thanks much!!!

9. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Thats great Mo... glad it worked out for you.

Savvy :)

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61629

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice