1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95 Disks or Windows 98 Update Disk

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Charster85, Feb 9, 2003.

Mark Solved
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Charster85

Charster85 Guest Thread Starter

Does anyone have a the disks for Windows 95 or an update disk for 95 to get to 98? I called microsoft and they said that this is my only hope. I don't have my .CAB files and I can't install Dial-Up networking without a disk. I tried to get help from Packard Bell (Because they made mt computer.) but they want $5 a minute on a credit card that I don't have(I'm only in 6th grade!). So please would anyone loan/give me a disk that I could use? Please?:(

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

hi, In my attempt to help you with this, hope I don't get you confused....I am good at that.
    1. You need your Product Key Code, a 25 digit letter and number ID for Windows, to reinstall, if you ever do reinstall whichever version that is on the computer. If you obtain a Windows 98se CD to install, you also need the 95 CD to put in for Windows ownership verification. (Any one will work- since you own a copy, you are not breaking the rules, as long as you do not use anyone else's Product Key for either version).
    2. We reccommend a program that you can download to a floppy disk, which will show you a lot about the computer, any computer running Windows 95,98 etc....called Belarc Advisor, free, small enough to fit on a floppy disk, and it will also show you the Windows Product Key, which you should write down and keep safe. (Unless of course, you already have it)
    The Belarc program will show you your sound, video, motherboard, chipset, modem, hard drive, CD drive, and program versions you have. You need to know the hardware to reinstall...you may not have drivers, or software, for devices if the reinstall involved formatting, or erasing, the hard drive. Formatting is the best way to install- though, many people have successfully overinstalled or upgraded, win 95 to 98 or 98se. The Second Edition part is important- it's better version of Windows.
    To start with- download and install the Belarc Advisor, you can use any pc to get it, put it onto a floppy, just the download...don't run the download file....take the disk to the pc you are needing upgrading on, and install the Belarc from the floppy disk- just use "Send TO" to put a copy of the download onto the desktop of the pc....and double click the desktop file called Advisor.exe to install.
    3. You need to know what version of win95 you have, A B or C. this you can find with the belarc advisor.
    4. Buy, beg, or borrow the same version of Windows 95 CD....buy a Windows 98 CD WITH A PRODUCT KEY- wont do you any good without one!!!! They are available, perhaps at used computer stores....or have someone advertise for one. Don't worry about when you can get the 98 CD- get the Dial Up Networking fixed for now with a 95 CD, and when you can find the 98 one, upgrade...but, remember, you will need the 95 CD as well at the time you upgrade!!
    5. It is not critical you ever upgrade to 98....lots of people still using 95, it just has a few quirks and less features, but for ordinary use, it is fine.
    6. it is not illegal to use a friend's Windows CD to fix a problem, such as in your case, you do not have a CD to use.
    Do not use a win98 cd- files are not the same, and you can seriously goof up the computer.
    Microsoft used to provide replacement copies, but has stopped making both win95 and 98, so you have to hunt around for them. Win95's are around $50 brand new, and 98se's are about $100 new. I have found them at yard sales for $5, brand new, in unopened cases with booklets and Product Key!
    One possibility for you is to ask your computer teacher at school- they usually have some software....but, they cannot give you the License key...you will have to use Belarc Advisor to get that. There are other ways, but this is easier.
    I hope this helps you. Please post back if you need help, with anything. You may get lucky....someone may respond to your plight, but basically, we are not allowed to buy or sell products in the forum. Someone might email you, though, so dont lose hope. Should be someone near you who would loan you a CD to at least just fix the Dial Up Networking. Good luck.

3. Charster85

Where would I get that program?

4. JustMe2

JustMe2

First Name:
    Crystal
    Charlie,
    Byteman's not here right now, so...Download here... http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Another option is a used book store. We have ones here that also sell used software, and I've seen Windows 95 and 98 cd's there.
    Good luck.
    JustMe2

***edit***
    Just thinking...how old is this computer??? I still have a old HP Vectra that did not come with Windoze 95 disks. Instead, I had to sit and make my own with something like 30 disks or so. Kind of strange, I know, but it worked.

5. Charster85

It's 8 years old. Form 95'.:p

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117942

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice