Windows 95 error message

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Coach Chris

Windows 95 error message
fatal error message 137:BFF858ED & 137:00000013 keep coming up on the screen and the system will not go any further. Prior to this I did get the system to open in safe mode and was in the process of a thorough scan disk when the system locked up and then nothing. When I tried to restart the system the error messages above are what keeps coming up. I am not all that savvy about computers but I know enough to get by. If someone could please give me something to start with I should be able to get the system back running.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

Just to clarify, you are able to boot up successfully in Safe-mode, right? What programs do you have set to run on startup? Do you have an Anti-virus program on the computer? Please post back with info on your startup applications, and take a look in your autoexec and config.sys to see what else is loading.

:)

Coach Chris

I am no longer able to log on in safe mode. I have tried pressing F8 and I do get to the request for safe mode but when I press safe mode it opens at an error message 0137:BFF858ED it says to press any key to continue. When I press a key the error message 137:00000013 pops up and that is as far I can get.
I was in safe mode yesterday. I was running a scan disk when the system locked up and that is when these error messages started. There were a ton of damaged files and other hits during the scan.
This is not my computer it is a neighbor who does not have much money so I am trying to help as much as I can. Their virus software is outdated. I am going to buy them a new version as soon as I can rescue the computer.

Well, :(

I guess you could try restoring the registry (might help). Go to Start, then Run, then type in regedit. Then click on Help, then Help topics, and under Index, type in restore. This should give you instructions on restoring the registry, which you'll need to do from a command prompt.
(This is assuming that you have access to another Win95 machine. If not, let us know, and we'll post instructions on how to do it).

Good Luck

Coach Chris

No help. I can't get to the start button. I can't get the unit to even boot up in safe mode. Thanks anyway!

Hey,

That's why I said that you'd have to have access to another Win95 machine (to use IT'S Help).
O.K. Boot up the system, and choose "Command-prompt Only" at the menu.
Once you reach a c:\ prompt, type in the following:

attrib -h -r -s system.dat
attrib -h -r -s user.dat
attrib -h -r -s system.da0
attrib -h -r -s user.da0
copy system.da0 system.dat
copy user.da0 user.dat

Make sure you choose Y when prompted "are you sure you want to copy". When you're finished, restart the system.

Please post back with your results.:D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online