1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95 invalid configuration

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ymh200, Nov 28, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ymh200

ymh200 Thread Starter

I recently picked up a 486 with a 66mhz pro with win95 installed. The previous owner had removed som of the original 95 stuff so I used the win95 upgrade to put them back. While upgrading I kept getting prompted to use newer files already installed for some things rather than overwrite them with the upgrade. I guess it's a newer version installed than the upgrade I have. Anyway, I let it keep the newer files and this is the result: Now when I start the computer, it automaticly goes to the windows startup menu, which is hilighted for safe mode. If I run it in safe mode, it works, but really slow. If I go to start it in normal mode. I get a blue screen that says:
    "Invalid VxD dynamic link call from ISAPNP (02) + 000140e to device "Configme", service 5B. Your Windows confiuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program again to correct this problem. To continue running windows, press Y or enter. To quit the current program, press N. If you continue to run windows, your systwm may become unstable. Do you want to continue? Yes or No?

Then if I hit yes, 3 times, it goes to a black screen with the curser flashing in the upper left hand corner.
    If I hit NO, The screen goes black with the following at the top:

Invalid VxD dynamic link call to device#33, service E8. Your windows configuration is invalid. Run the windows setup program again to correct the problem."

In both cases, after the messages, the comp is locked, can't type anything, etc. Also, I don't think that the comp is recognizing drive D anymore. (CD Rom)

I hope somebody can help me with this problem. I actually bought this comp for the kids to fool around with so I would like to get it running asap. Thank you.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Your best bet is to get Win98, and the modem drivers or a new modem; format the HDD and use the two Win9x install CDs to install Windows fresh.

Backup all your sensitive files (letters, pictures, databases, spreadsheets, IE favorites, OE contacts lists and e-mails, etc.) to removable media first.

You'll need a Windows Me or Windows 98 Startup Disk, and if you're doing a 'fresh' install of Win95 you'll need a 'true' copy (not a copy made from a friend's copy) of Win 3.1 or 3.11 to prove to the Win95 install program you're a previous owner of Windows plus a copy of DOS 5.0 or higher installed on your Hard Disk (HDD) first after the intial format. When ready start the computer with a Windows 98 Startup Disk in the [A] drive; at the A:\ type 'format c:', without the quotation marks.

If you're installing Win98 you'd need the Windows 95 CD to prove to the Windows 98 install program you're a previous owner of Windows. To do a fresh install of Windows Me you'd need to have a Windows 98 installation CD on hand for the same reason.
    Then insert your Windows Me or Windows 98 Startup Disk into the floppy drive and restart your machine by holding down the Ctrl + Alt + Delete keys on your keyboard. Start with CD-ROM support when prompted. At [A] prompt type 'format c:', without the quotation marks. Scan Disk will run then strike the tab key once when scan Disk is done and strike the Enter key on your keyboard. *** Note that your modem won't work after a fresh install.

The modem software will have to be re-installed with the installation software on floppy or CD from the manufacturer when Windows setup is all done. The modem hardware can stay in place if you have the installation CD or disk that contains the valid driver. You can consult your modem maker or computer maker's website or technical support phone lines if necessary. Win9x setup will not have the compatible modem drivers is 95% of cases. If you can not obtain that install floppy or CD BEFORE the format do not proceed or prepare to buy a new modem. Especially if the modem came pre-installed on your machine from the factory.

For clean installs: If you're installing Windows 95 you'll need DOS 5.0 or higher, and Windows 3.1 or higher; if your instaling Windows 98 you'll need a Win95 CD or floppies on hand; if your installing Windows Me you'll need a Windows 98 CD on hand. In other words you need a previous viable version of the installation program to the Operating System (OS) you're trying to install fresh. Plus with Windows 95 you also need DOS 5.0 or higher installed on the drive first. A Windows 98 (or higher) Startup Disk is mandatory.
    If you're installing Win95 on a system that already has Win 3.1 or 3.11 on it you're fine if there's enough HDD space to hold it. **** Note that Win95 any version didn't come with Internet Explorer on it. IE came with the OS CD purchase on a separate CD. If you don't have both CDs and the original OS CD sleeve with CD Key on it don't even start.
    The requirements for using Win95 were 386 or higher and 4 MB RAM but to use IE 4.0 were higher, a 486 66 MHz or higher and 12 Mb RAM and for both about 45 MB hard disk space Win 95 and 72 MB for IE 4.0 (120 MB HDD space total?), a 14.4 baud modem or higher, 56 K modem is necessary now, OK?
    Have your hardware installation disks handy for anything that windows doesn't have drivers for and can't install for you...so go into Device Manager and click the plus mark in front of your hardware to get the manufacturer and model numbers of what you have. Then go to www.windrivers.com <http://www.windrivers.com> and click the Advanced Search on the left...look alphabetically for your manufacturers and then download the newest drivers for your hardware ahead of time.

Have your older version windows installation disks handy if your Windows is an upgrade because you will need proof during the installation that you are eligible for the upgrade and have your product key code (ID) # handy so you can enter that information also during the installation.
    windows 95 needs the Product ID number for the installation. This information can be found by going to RUN type REGEDIT, click the plus in front of the following:
    HEKY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows and now click the words Current Version. Scroll on the right side and write down the information you need for your operating system version. This assumes you haven't already formatted the drive....if you have, then the Registry won't be available to you.

FORMAT

Cdrom support will automatically appear if you used a boot disk that you downloaded or created yourself. Keep an eye on the screen to see which drive letter has been assigned because it won't be the same one you had in Windows before, and then change to that drive letter. Make sure you can access the CD-ROM with that disk by changing to the CD-ROM drive with a CD in the drive and type DIR at the CD-ROM prompt...if it shows you the list of files on the cd, you are good to go so change back to the A: prompt.

At the A: prompt, type FORMAT C: /S to get the boot drive ready to receive data. If you have already formatted the drive, then at the A: prompt type SYS C: instead.

Now if you have enabled the cdrom support, you can change to the cdrom drive ( so as it is loading, watch for which drive letter it has assigned), and put your Windows installation cd into the drive and type SETUP....the installation will begin. You don't have to install dos or W3X on the computer ahead of time...just do the windows installation and when windows asks for proof that you are eligible for the update, put the first disk of W3X into the floppy drive and at the window that appears, click on the A: drive and it will find it, and the installation will continue.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/59932

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice