1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95-Non Bootable Drive

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by marketroid, Jan 12, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. marketroid

marketroid Thread Starter

An antivirus software product (one of the little known losers) was installed on my system. It was really a behavior blocker, actually. Nevertheless, the blocker thought that the screen saver was a virus and deleted a system file from the drive. The next time the system was booted, the system could not find a bootable drive.

I have tackled this a dozen ways, but I am back to try one more time. Here is what I have tried that I thought, should have been the clincher, but didn't work:

disabling floppy, enabling boot drive to CD rom and inserting my Windows 95 CD. No that seems so obvious, but for some reason it is still trying to look at the hard drive and returns an error:

Insert bootable media into the appropriate drive.

Does anyone have any ideas of how I can get this thing back to working? I will update the OS once I get it functioning again.

Thanks so much. Appreciate this forum here!

2. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

hi, I think using a win95 boot disk with CDROM support will get you going, with a command or two:

Go here and download the file to make a bootdisk with CD support....the file is just a program to execute, it will ask you to put in a clean floppy disk, and then it will make the bootdisk.
    http://www.putergeek.com/downloads/

Windows 95 links are at bottom of that page.
    Get the file for your version of win95, either A B or C.
    Use the disk, start the computer (you may have to set the floppy drive to first boot device in BIOS) and select with or without CD support....at the A:\ prompt, type

A:\fdisk /mbr
    Yes, 1 space after k. then hit Enter once. Take the floppy out, reboot. There is the possbility that you may reinstall Windows, too, so don't lose hope if the above try does not work.
    If you can see the CDs files using a dir command from DOS prompt, by changing to the CD drive letter and typing dir, with the CD in drive, setup should run OK. You can just format the drive and reinstall.
    Here is a page about fdisk and using fdisk /mbr

http://www.ontrack.com/hardwareinfo/fdisk.asp
    You may be able to run setup in Windows....no data loss. This won't work from Safe Mode, though, no CD drive there.
    You should also know that you might need several drivers, for sound, video, modem, other devices if you format the drive!
    There may be some other things to try- post back.

3. marketroid

marketroid Thread Starter

This is a useful site. Thanks for this link. However, I did download the utility, made a floppy and the darn thing still won't load. I took the floppy to another Win 95 machine I have and it worked just fine, loaded the CD drivers etc. I am still getting the 'Insert bootable media in the appropriate drive' message.' on the machine I am trying to fix.

I have changed the CMOS settings in dozens of ways, but what I am noticing is the IDE autoconfigure is now not showing an IDE device on 1. It is showing the CD ROM.

It seems to want to keep pinging the harddrive, despite the fact that I have changed the CMOS settings. What other troubleshooting methods are there?

Thanks so much for you help.

4. Byteman

Byteman Gone but Never Forgotten

Hi, First, is the floppy drive shown as 1.44MB?
    Re-do IDE detection, all settings to AUTO.
    Don't know if you have tried this, and there are some other things you can do, too. You can try taking the battery off the motherboard for five or ten minutes, then reinstall it or a NEW one, and start the computer....when it boots, press key to enter CMOS, BIOS,. setup as it tells you.....it will have loaded the default settings, that may help it to boot- just SAVE and EXIT the BIOS as it tells you....see if it boots at all.
    IF NO GO> SET THE FLOPPY DRIVE TO FIRST BOOT PRIORITY----DID YOU???
    At bootup, press and hold the control key down until the Startup menu appears. Select command prompt only.
    If you can get to an A:\ put the floppy in, and continue with the instructions to fdisk /mbr What this does is rebuild the master boot record of the drive, it may have been corrupted....a virus can also affect it, so you should write protect the disk...pull down the tab in the back. Try the sys c: also. This makes a drive bootable. That will help rule out those items.....if you cannot get to a prompt, which I strongly suspect, the only thing you can do is install the drive as a SLAVE drive in another similar system, win95 or 98, etc and attempt to scandisk it. You should run a virus scan immediately without doing any operations, using a fully updated antivirus program. If the drive is readable in another system, and no viruses detected, you probably should get all files you have to save off it by copying somehow. This is in case it cannot be "bootable" by some odd chance. You can try a sys d: or whatever letter YOUR DRIVE becomes in the different computer...I dont know if that would do the same as sys c: but, maybe. Check the free space- maybe delete Temp Internet files from it, things you can delete, to make some room. I don't know if an fdisk /mbr command on your drive when installed in another system would do anything, or work, either. To install your drive as slave in another system, you would have to jumper it to SLAVE and put it on either cable where there is a free connector. Have it detected, same as in yours. What this could do in the way of problems to the computer you are "borrowing" to work on your drive, is unknown, but it should not hurt anything, unless a virus got loose....if you scan it, not too likely, and you should be able to get into it using any old computer to do a few operations. When it goes back in your machine, change the jumpers again back to Master and put on Primary IDE channel.....make sure the cables are connected correctly, pin1 to pin1 and so forth. At bootup, get into the BIOS again, try AUTO settings, have it detected, see if you can boot.
    Try it with a floppy next, you still should have the floppy boot first enabled....if this doesnt work, post back.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112921

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice