1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 95 shutdown

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by ctbmv, Dec 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ctbmv

ctbmv Thread Starter

i am running windows 95 on a NEC desktop. we tend to leave the computer on. when we come back to the computer after half an hour or so, the message "it is now safe to shut your computer
    down" is on the screen. we do not invoke this. we can either shut it, or ctrl-alt-del. when you do this though, upon bootup, it says windows was not shut down properly, run scandisk.
    the other issue is the screen saver, when its on, after a while,
    the saver freezes, and you can do nothing except hold the power switch to shut down. the keyboard does not respond.
    thank you for your time and help!!

2. columbo

columbo

Hi, and Welcome to TSG!

Go into Control Panel, and check your Power Settings. See if you can customize it. When you leave your system running, your power scheme should be set to "Always On". I can't remember if this option is available in Win95, so you might just have to set the suspend, standby, and other settings manually.
    As for your screen saver, when you're going to be away from your system for an extended period of time, why not just turn off your monitor (although I believe that with most monitors these days, having an image burn to the screen is no longer a concern).
    I'd just disable the screensaver.

:)

P.S- Random shutdowns and restarts can also be the result of overheating. If altering your power management settings doesn't fix your problem, then you might want to open up your computer, and check to see if the processor fan has died or something.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/60895

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice