windows 95 system disk or boot disk

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

smo01

hi i have an old laptop compaq lte 5000 with windows 95 on it i wont to get it working so my son can use it for his home work but when i boot it up it says invalid system disk replace the disk and press any key so i went to yahoo and tyeped in download system disk it came up with a download so i put it on a floppy and put it in the laptop and it says booting from floppy and then no valid CDROM device drivers selected so i dont no what to do can you please get back to me asap my son wont that laptop. thank very much for reading

The message you are getting means that the laptop is unable to find the files it needs to boot. So check in BIOS to make sure that your hard drive is included in the boot order and that that there are no floppies in the floppy drive or CDs in the CD drive.

If you've checked the above then it's possible that either you have a non functioning hard drive or the files on it are corrupted. Is your hard drive listed in BIOS?

You can also try what's listed at this link

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000181.htm

If you have a Windows 95 CD and want to try to reinstall Windows then you might need a different boot disk with the CDROM drivers. Try http://bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

As a norm I have gotten the invalid system disk warning when I left a floppy in the floppy drive on reboot.BUT,
I have also gotten it when I turned on a PC and booted it after it had been off for months only to find out the cmos battery was almost dead.
Replaced the little coin cmos/bios battery, ck the settings in cmos and it booted right into windows.Then as luck would have it I found out why my son{whom I couldn't reach} had shut it down and put it in the back of his closet. The hard drive was just about shot! $3.40 for the battery, wasted time, and 2 days later son called and ?'d him and= oh yeah HD going south!
Just a heads up.
Good luck.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi and welcome. How old is your son and what does he plan on doing with this laptop? I know you said homework, but can you break that down for us.

Also, how much ram is in it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online