1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95, Virtual boot disks, and Virtualbox with USB

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by SNYPER_SilentQ, Jan 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. SNYPER_SilentQ

SNYPER_SilentQ Thread Starter

I've read through some old threads here and other sites. This one so far has been the most progress.

Issues: I finally got DOS installed as one 'machine' on VirtualBox, sadly my laptop optical drive does not work, and it was cheaper for me to get a USB one, which is difficult to use with DOS, and VirtualBox thus far. I have my Win95 OEM disk, and some virtual boot disks. I got to dos "C:/" yet when I've tried to CHDIR or "C:/CD F:\" (F = USB optical drive) it says 'invalid drive specification.' so I tried my built in optical drive just to see if it would read it, "C:/CD D:/" (D= Factory/laptop optical drive) to which I got the same message. I've tried going through the 'Devices' Menu when the "DOS Machine" was running, trying the different options, none of which helped. How do I get windows 95 to install if I cannot access it from DOS?

2. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Copy the CD to an ISO file. Then set up a virtual CD drive and point it to the ISO. Use that drive in your Virtual DOS.

3. SNYPER_SilentQ

SNYPER_SilentQ Thread Starter

Thank you for your quick response, I'm still having difficulties...
    I created the ISO using Express Burn (Roxio I believe? came with my external optical as firmware I guess), but I'm still having issues. First of which may be that I (just noticed) have a win98 virtual boot disk with a very small DIR. I've tried downloading win95 bootdisk images but they save as ".IMZ" ? and cannot use them as a 'virtual floppy' image or otherwise. When I tried directing the virtualbox to the win95 ISO the screen stays blank, and doesn't even look like it did before (Loading MS-DOS, etc.).
    1.)Where and how do I get a good working 95 bootdisk image
    2.)If that doesn't correct the issue, what am I doing wrong?

4. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

The 98 diskette image should do fine. Just boot with CD support and it should load the CD drivers. Then just run the setup from the CD.

The standard 95 CD was not bootable, but if you really get desperate you can create a bootable version by using the 98 floppy modified to invoke the 95 set up and creating your own bootable ISO.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1083330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice