1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95 Virtual Private Network Server.

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jglong3, Apr 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello,

And, Thanks for your time and advise!

Is there a way that either a W95 or W98SE (both fully upgraded) can be configured as a SERVER for the Virtual Private Network when connected direct to the Internet via a Cable Modem (no modem exists)?

I see that either W95 or W98 with a modem can be configured for a dial in as a SERVER with the upgrades of DUN.

Or, will this require a special application designed to act as the VPN SERVER?

THANKS,

Jerry

2. plucnik

plucnik

Well, anything's possible but........setting up VPN's can cause a lot of headaches. There's an easier way to do this and it's "relatively" secure. Try going to www.tightvnc.com and you can download the freebie VNC program there. I use it all the time and it's easy to install (and has saved me a lot of headaches).

3. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello Plucnik :) :),

Apologies that I have not replied sooner,,,,,

I took a look at the link and that's GREAT. I have plans to use it.

I was curious if the standard W95/98 Op Sys delivery disk can be used to set up a computer as a SERVER to work over the Internet rather than dialing in to the DUN set as the SERVER?

Or, must a SERVER type application be used such as the link you provided?

Please forgive me, I have not been in the HOST/SLAVE (now SERVER/CLIENT) situation for over 20 years. A lot has evolved and I am curious if this can be done with the standard delivered stuff on the Windows 95/98 delivery disk.

THANKS for your time, help, and advise!!!! :) :)

Jerry

4. Rockn

Rockn

THere are also routers on the market that act as VPN servers that would be a better more manageable option and offer better securiity.

5. jglong3

jglong3 Thread Starter

Hello Rockn,

THANKS for the info!

Also, after searching many articles on the Internet an article was found at the following link:

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/vpn.htm

This article described the following:

,,,,"Windows95 and Windows98 can only be VPN-Clients:
    able to establish the connection to an NT4 VPN-server,
    but not beeing able to act as a VPN-server, accepting
    incoming VPN-connections. Windows95/98 cannot act as
    VPN-server,,,,,,,"

This article further mentioned that: ,,,,if anyone knew how to set up the W95/W98
    System to act as a SERVER to let them know,,,,,"

It is the only article I could find that implies that a special application must be installed to act as a SERVER on a W95/W98 computer for direct use on the Internet rather than dialing in to the DUN SERVER set up.

Jerry

P.S. That article was dated 1998.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222410

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice