1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 95 won't boot

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by billiet767, Jan 29, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. billiet767

billiet767 Thread Starter

I have created a boot disc but not sure how to use it. When I reboot the system asks for a command and I don't know what it is. I have tried many. Please help?

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Hi billiet767 and welcome to TSG. We really need a little more information on the original problem you are trying to solve. How did it begin and what happens when you try to boot Win95 without a boot disk?

The term "boot disk" is slightly confusing, since it doesn't actually allow you to boot windows, but gives you access to the CD-Rom from which Windows could be reinstalled, or to certain basic system commands.

Without the boot disk inserted, try restarting and tapping the f8 key repeatedly -- do you get a "startup menu" with numbered options. If so try "safe mode"

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q156126

If you cannot start Win95 at all, you might be successful in restoring the last registry (system.Da0), see this link:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q131431

3. billiet767

I originally had the blue screen of death....a fatal error and it wouldn't let me reboot. It kept wanting to reboot in safe mode. I did this and it wanted me to creat a start up disc, so i did and then i tried to use it but it still wouldn't boot up. I did go in a restore the registry but still having the problem. I have to boot a few times before i can get it to work.

4. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

If you are able to boot in safe mode, you should try the safe mode troubleshooting techniques in the link above and here...

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q243039

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q136337

If the problem began after a recent installation, you should try uninstalling it or preventing it from loading.

The startup disk will allow you to reinstall Windows. If you have your Windows CD and that's what you want to do, select "start with cd-rom support". Watch the screen to see what letter gets assigned the CD-Rom drive (usually 'e'), then insert your Win95 CD and enter:

e:\setup

then just follow the prompts.

This will not resolve problems caused by 3rd party applications loading at startup, just issues with altered or corrupt system files.

5. billiet767

Thank you for your help Rollin' I will try this......but first I need to do some heavy duty back up. This started after i loaded Quick time. I tried to uninstall it but it said it was corrupt. tried to delete it from registry. also I tried to uninstall PCillian....it's a free virus scan and now it still comes up. I tried to delete it from my registry but the prompt still comes up and wants me to sign up. I guess my best bet is to reformat the whole thing.....this sucks

6. billiet767

Thank you for your help Rollin' I will try this......but first I need to do some heavy duty back up. This started after i loaded Quick time. I tried to uninstall it but it said it was corrupt. tried to delete it from registry. also I tried to uninstall PCillian....it's a free virus scan and now it still comes up. I tried to delete it from my registry but the prompt still comes up and wants me to sign up. I guess my best bet is to reformat the whole thing.....this sucks

7. guru2

guru2 Guest

if you're using win95 the boot disk you created will not have cd-rom support. go to www.bootdisk.com and download the win98 bootdisk as this has cd-rom support.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66904

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice