1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95 won't start

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Andrew Murphy, Jan 13, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy Thread Starter

I tried to do a quick restore on my old Compaq Presario, using the cd that came with the computer, before giving it to my daughter (she's 6), but I cannot get it to come back up. Everything worked more or less fine before the restore. I hope someone in this forum will take pity on us and help. Here are some random facts:

I am running Windows 95.

I have always needed a start up floppy to start the computer.

The computer came with Win 95 installed already so I don't have a Windows 95 cd to use.

I CAN get Windows to come up in the safe mode, by hitting F8 at the appropriate time, etc., but CANNOT get it to come up normally.

I created a new start up disc from www.bootdisk.com, but then I can't get to my C:\ drive (invalid drive).

If I use my original start up disk, the one I have always used, I get a registry not found error (??-I think that's what it says- it goes so fast and then some kind of a VFAT error notice and the system stops).

I have a number of other things like SCSI cards and stuff on the computer but have not had problems before.

Any advice on where to start attacking this problem. I have read many, many, postings and tried to fix it to no avail.

2. brianF

brianF

3. Andrew Murphy

Andrew Murphy Thread Starter

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll explore that page and learn what all those things are and then let you know.

4. john1

john1

Hi Andrew,

Adapted from:
    http://www.usatoday.com/weather/wbarocx.htm

As a rule of thumb for a barometer, is that the pressure drops
    about 1 inch of mercury for each 1,000 foot of altitude gain.
    If you're using millibars, it would be about 1 millibar for
    each 8 metres of altitude gain. This works pretty well for
    elevations or altitudes of less than a two or three thousand
    feet.

Also, aircraft use air pressure to indicate height on a gauge
    called an altimeter.

Simply put:
    We live under a sea of air. The pressure is greater at the
    bottom. (@ 15 lbs/sq in)

John

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/64805

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice