1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Tony Pitkin, Apr 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Tony Pitkin

Tony Pitkin Thread Starter

I have a second computer that I had completely cleaned up. I want to reinstall Windows 95 but I cannot get the CD drive to recoginise the disc.
    I have followed the support in the Windows 95 handbook by installing MSCDEX.EXE and inserting the correct commands into the respective files.

When I turn on my machine it reads:

C"\C:\SBCD\DRV\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001 /M:8 /V

What am I doing wrong?

2. LooneyTunes

LooneyTunes

Hi

So you've formatted your drive and cannot get the drive to show at all, right?

Check your BIOS first and make sure it can detect it there. Depending on your BIOS, and it's age, you may need to set the CD drive.
    If it does detect the drive Ok, make sure you are using a startup disk that has CD support whilst starting the machine up.

If it doesn't, try and find a friend who has win98 and ask them to make you a floppy startup disk. (Control panel> add/remove programs> create startup disk)

Hope that helps.

3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    T_P:

A Windows 98/98SE startup disk contains generic CDROM drivers which may or may not work with the CDROM drive in that computer. It would have been good if you had saved a copy of the CDROM driver file before you formatted the hard drive. Good luck with your endeavor.

4. A Hawk

A Hawk

You can go here http://www.cybertechhelp.com/ and d/load the ultimate boot disk creator to your desktop then double click on the icon with a clean floppy in a: drive and you'll create a 98 boot disk with cdrom support. Don't d/load straight to a floppy it won't work. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/221183

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice