1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 95b to 98SE upgrade problem

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by LinuxGold, Oct 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

I've used Windows 95b for so long, because it's very stable. Up to the point where USB support was needed (PC camera and so on) I figured the need to upgrade to Windows 98 SE. Most softwares were already installed and would take so much time to re-install them (because they were running fine after 98 was installed). However, a week or so after Windows 98 SE was installed, the computer came so slow that the video had to render the moving window for every 1/2 second when I moved them, and memory boggled down to crumbs. I'm not sure whether Windows 98 SE is to blame, and have no ways to figure out what is going on in the background. Is there any applications out there that I can download to observe the running processes that normally don't show up in task manager (like one in Windows NT) which allows me to better troubleshoot the problem. I am running Pentium 166 mmx (yeah, I couldn't afford newer one for a while) with 128 MB RAM and plenty of HD's with massive free space, so Windows 98 SE shouldn't be a problem. Any ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

2. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Check your available resources by right-clicking My Computer; clicking Properties; Click the Performance tab. Resources available are displayed as percent there at top. Check it when you get done running the System Configuration Utility mentioned below.

Click the Start button; Run; type 'msconfig', without the quotation marks, in the Run box and click OK; Then click the Startup tab; Uncheck anything you don't need running in the background. For reference on what's not needed running in the background in the System Configuration Utility, view this website first and print out the list:

http://www2.whidbey.net/djdenham/Running_items.htm

It's important that you print out the above mentioned list. The site provides a printer friendly link.

In the System Configuration Utility (SCU), you can uncheck programs you suspect one at a time and restart your computer. If something doesn't work right, you can always go back into the SCU and re-check it and restart your computer via the Start button. The changes are completely reversible by re-checking an item in SCU or by selecting Normal Startup under the General tab in the SCU and all the programs listed run when Windows starts as it was before you started.

3. Styxx

Styxx Banned

4. Styxx

Styxx Banned

What do you mean by
    Win98 doesn't handle over 30 Gb HDDs well

5. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Are you running Mcaffee anti-virus? Have you ever run a ScanDisk or Deframenter in Safe Mode or otherwise? Have you run a free-virus scan on-line at http://housecall.trendmicro.com ?

Please answer these three questions.

6. Styxx

Styxx Banned

Are you running a personal firewall of any kind like free Sygate from http://download.com type, sygate, in the Search box. You must be on-line to install Sygate, initiate install by double-clicking the download's icon when it's finished downloading.

7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    LinuxGold:

Having a 166 MHz processor won't make that computer a speedster by a long shot, but there are still ways to boost performance.

The first thing that I would do, as Styxx has already advised you to do, is to trim down the startup load as much as possible. Look in the MSCONFIG startup tab and see how many items are checked and running in the background. Most of them can probably be unchecked and disabled. Read here.

Go into the DISPLAY properties settings tab and change the color palette from 32-bit true color to 16-bit high color. Apply the change and allow it to be excepted.

Get rid of the buildup of temp files and other useless junk. Read here.

Empty the Recycle Bin and defrag the hard drive. Read here.

I have a 6-year old HP 8160 with a 233 MHz processor and 128 MB of RAM and running Windows 98SE. It has a lot of lag time with using a webcam and MSN Messenger for video-conferencing because the combination of both need too much processing power and RAM. This is just something for you to think about, since you mentioned the use of a webcam.

Anyway, get back with us and let us know how things are going.

Frank's Windows 95/98 Tips

8. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

Wow, so many threads add up and I had to go through thread page by page to find this one.

Thanks for the advices guys, and I will get downright to those advices to find what went wrong. If they aren't the solution to my problem, then I'll let y'all know.

I'm too used with Linux, been away from Microsoft for so long that I forgot, after reading good advices on this thread, things came to my long-forsaken memory.

Again, thanks y'all for helpin' me.

9. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

No antivirus running, used trendmicro.com's antivirus scanner - found no virus.

Performed Norton's SpeedDisk, defragg'd to optimial.

10. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Just hit your user name and click on the number of posts, and all your posts will come up ;)

11. LinuxGold

LinuxGold Thread Starter

Thanks. It will save my time a bunches!

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/171317

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice