1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 and Drivespace

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by 0tto, Feb 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 0tto

0tto Thread Starter

I'm a college student who just began a work placement. I'm working at a government-funded facility, so a lot of the tech I'm working with is very outdated.

My supervisor asked me to retrieve the data located on a floppy disk. This data was compressed using a program called Drivespace, a utility supported no later than Windows 98.

I have Windows 98 running on a virtual machine, no problems on that front, but the floppy appears to be configured using an incompatible file system. FAT, to be specific. Windows 98 tells me that the disk is not formatted and prompts me to reformat the floppy when I try to access it.

Any suggestions on how I can recover the data?

2. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

It's a bit of a Hail Mary but you could try this application to see if it'll read the disk, since it's supposed to read FAT12 information. Whether it'll handle a Drivespace disk remains to be seen, though.

Okay, I'm curious: what on earth is your supervisor thinking about, handing you such a task?

3. 0tto

0tto Thread Starter

The floppy apparently has topographical data for the surrounding forestry that wasn't backed up anywhere else.

Honestly, I recoiled at the thought of it too.

EaseUs doesn't seem to agree with drvspace.000 files. Thanks for your suggestion, though.

I'll need to ask around and see if I can find a Windows 98 system to use. Seems to be my only option at this point, seeing as all the systems here have way too much memory for Win98 to initialize.

4. Johnny-be-Good

Johnny-be-Good

First Name:
    John
As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1204889

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice