Windows 98 Can Not be installed!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stocker340

Here is one for all you tech guys
I have a PC that came with WIN 95.
I want to put a fresh install of Win 98
I somehow deleted the partitions on the drive but I have not formatted it yet.
I think I have to do this first correct?
I place the 98 boot disk in it and it says a bunch of files are missing.
extract.exe,path not found command .com etc

I try other boot disks and I get this non system diskreplace and press any key.
It does this on reboot with several different boot disk downloads from various sources.

I am at whits end with this antique!!

You have to set the primary partition ACTIVE and then format. Then you can install 98. To avoid the "Non-SystemDisk" error, ensure your boot order is Floppy first, then HDD, and then CD.

If you need a Win98 boot disk with all the files, I have a section with instructions for creating a boot disk at http://www.onecomputerguy.com/install/floppies.htm.

There is also the generic one which you can download and extract.

There are a lot of the DOS utilities there that don't normally get added when you make one from Win98. For example Diskcopy, Doskey, Format, More, Sys, Edit, Chkdsk, Deltree, Extract, Fdisk, Attrib, Label, Mem, Scandisk, Scanreg, Smartdrv and Xcopy.

If you need to format, select Yes for Large Hard Drive Support. Then create a primary partition that is the full size and make it active. This should all be in one choice.

Then reboot and format the drive (you do not need the /s switch with the format).

If the drive is large enough I would also recommend copying the source files to a directory on the hard drive and install from that directory. Then if the OS ever needs any files (e.g. print drivers, etc.) you are not prompted to insert the CD.

stocker340

I have done all of the above to no avail.
After getting my floppy first HD second and CD rom third it is still the same result
I downloaded the computerguy boot disk for win 98 to a floppy rebooted the computer and it is still non system disk replace and press key.
I cant get to any format type screen.
it says cant find config sys on multiple lines etc etc?
I don't think this one can be solved as I have been working for hours with this thing.
It also sometimes asks for windows start up disk 2???
When i get it to the three choices and I choose without cd rom support it says I have a bunch of files missing ramdrive.sys

So when you run FDISK and look at the properties of the primary partition, it is set to active?

Keep in mind, since is no operating system yet on the hard drive, you would normally get that error message.

As a quick test, so you don't have to go through the hassle of installing Windows to find out if the hard drive is bootable, what happens if you format the hard drive but include the /s switch. Can you boot from it then.

Also, since Win95 had a 2 gig partition limit, if your drive is over that size, you might want to delete all partitions and create one larger one for Win98.

stocker340

I have tried everything here to no avail.
When I reboot the computer with the start up disk from the reccomended place above i get the non system disk deal and will do nothing till I take it out
after taking it out and hitting enter i get a scren that shows a bunch of f buttons at the bottom with a picture of a floopy and an arrow pointing to place the floppy in the drive
I place the floppy back in and i get the system disk deal again.
This one is hard to figure.
I have already deleted the partitions before somehow.
????????????????

:) When you downloaded the boot disk did you download it straight to the floppy? If so, then it won't work. You need to save it to your desktop then open it from there to create the boot disk.

Just wondering.

Kilowatt

If you are using the boot disk image from my site, the instructions state:

1. This is a single executable that will create a Win98SE Boot Disk with CD ROM Support
2. Insert a formatted floppy disk
3. Run the program

So hopefully you are downloading the file to your hard drive, insert formatted floppy disk and run the program (win98_img.exe)

Otherwise, what boot disk or what steps are you using.
Is the computer configured to boot from a floppy disk first.

stocker340

I DOWNLOADED it to my desktop then opened it to the floppy
still the same when rebooting/non system disk error
I think I have already deleted the partitions early on?
Does that help??

stocker340

GREAT NEWS! mAYBE??
I went to bootdisk.com downloaded the bootdisk to my laptop and opened it from there to the floppy put it in and fdisk worked!
It is now formatting?
Where can I get step by step direction from this point forward.
You guys have really made a difference as I was about ready to throw in the towel

Thanks

Dale

Try this.

First go back into the BIOS setup and make sure that any virus protection is disabled. Also check to be sure that the floppy is still set to be the first boot device and save changes before exiting setup.

On a working computer insert the boot disk you made. Open My Computer then right click on the floppy drive and choose explore. Post back with the contents shown on the floppy.

Try disconnecting the hard drive from the computer and see if you can boot to the floppy with the boot disk.

Finally what is the model of the IBM?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online