1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 CIMOM

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by lindam, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

:confused: I am trying to do my weekly ScanDisk and am having problems with the program CIMOM. I have done CTRL ALT DEL to stop all the un-necessary programs from running and CIMOM keeps starting again. I receive the error message that Scan Disk has restarted 10 times but a program is running.... The program is CIMOM. The only way I can complete my ScanDisk is to run in safe mode which takes 6 hours or more to complete. Any suggestions? Thanks.

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

It'd odd you should even see this program. It's the Common Information Model Object Manager. Are you on some base that allows administration over the web?

Did you recently install a program/game that updated DirectX?

Do you see anything in the task list like: Winmgmt?

3. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

No, I am a stand alone at home. I recently went from Dialup to a cable internet connection. On the same day I purchased a Firewall from Symantec and wentinto Windows and downloaded any updates that were available. Since that date I have had this problem.

4. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well that may explain it. Probably the cable internet but don't ever rule out Symantec.

Try disconnecting the cable box then stopping CIMOM and see if it starts up on it's own again.

5. griffinspc

griffinspc

By the way, Welcome to our little world.

6. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

I did disconnect the cable as well as disabling the firewall and CIMOM came right back, since then I have just been using the safe mode....

7. griffinspc

griffinspc

Well I hesitate to tell you to use msconfig to stop it from loading, if it's even visible there, since my guess is it's part of the broadband package. There really would be no other reason I can think of.

I think the best choice would be to let me ask a couple of folk here who may have experience with that file and broadband. Afraid I'm still a dial up man.

I'll see if they can review this.

8. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

I appreciate any help that you can give. In hindsite I wish I would have stayed with dial up.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi lindam, welcome from me as well, Griff has asked me look in here, but I'm kinda stumped too.

I'd like to see your startup items, via, start, run, type msinfo32 and hit enter, go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

http://www.wbemsource.org/wbem-tools/news.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl&gnid=218
    Also, does that sound familiar?

Can you search for that file via windows explorer (cimom) and right click, properties and give us info on it.

10. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

ScanButton 2.1 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ScanButton 2.1\ScanButton.exe"
    PowerReg Scheduler Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg Scheduler.exe
    Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE Calendar Checker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE\CalCheck.exe"
    Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
    Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -b
    HotSync Manager Startup Group C:\Palm\hotsync.exe
    Event Planner Reminders Tray Icon Startup Group C:\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
    MSN Quick View Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ONMSN\MSNDC.EXE"
    Image Transfer Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe"
    Dataviz Messenger Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
    Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
    Adaware Bootup Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT AD-AWARE\AD-AWARE.EXE /Auto /Log "C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT AD-AWARE\"
    ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
    TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
    SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
    EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
    mmpti Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\m1mmpti.exe
    BillMinder Registry (Machine Run) C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
    StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
    Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
    ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
    ccRegVfy Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
    Advanced Tools Check Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\ADVCHK.EXE
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    Gene USB Monitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMonit.exe
    TaskMon Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\taskmon.exe
    Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
    CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
    CreateCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPCD\EASYCD~1\CREATECD\CREATECD.EXE -r
    rmmon Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mprmmon.exe
    ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
    ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
    LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
    SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
    NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
    ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
    ccProxy Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPROXY.EXE
    SndSrvc Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SNDSRVC.EXE

11. ~Candy~

Well, it's not in the startup process, unless you turned it off? When does it start running?

Also, not sure how much ram you have, but that is way too many startup items.

12. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

The only time I see it running is when I am trying to do my ScanDisk. I do CTL ALT DEL to stop the unnecessary programs from running. CIMOM will not stop, it keeps coming back into the list after I EndTask.

I do not know how all of those got items got into my startup, nor do I know how to delete them.

13. ~Candy~

Ok, let's try this. Reboot the computer. Do CTRL-ALT-DEL immediately after the desktop loads and prior to you opening any other programs. Is it there at that time?

14. griffinspc

griffinspc

Dataviz Messenger Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe

DataViz Documents to Go - "allows you to use your Word, Excel and PowerPoint files on your handheld anywhere, anytime. In addition, it now synchronizes e-mail with attachments, PDF files, pictures and Excel-like charts"

Do you use any software that may have installed this? http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/

This is just a guess base on the purpose of this file CIMOM

15. lindam

lindam Thread Starter

Okay, I tried this and the program was not there until I hit cancel and all of the programs loaded.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222866

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice