Windows 98 CIMOM

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lindam

:confused: I am trying to do my weekly ScanDisk and am having problems with the program CIMOM. I have done CTRL ALT DEL to stop all the un-necessary programs from running and CIMOM keeps starting again. I receive the error message that Scan Disk has restarted 10 times but a program is running.... The program is CIMOM. The only way I can complete my ScanDisk is to run in safe mode which takes 6 hours or more to complete. Any suggestions? Thanks.

It'd odd you should even see this program. It's the Common Information Model Object Manager. Are you on some base that allows administration over the web?

Did you recently install a program/game that updated DirectX?

Do you see anything in the task list like: Winmgmt?

lindam

griffinspc said:
It'd odd you should even see this program. It's the Common Information Model Object Manager. Are you on some base that allows administration over the web?

Did you recently install a program/game that updated DirectX?

Do you see anything in the task list like: Winmgmt?
No, I am a stand alone at home. I recently went from Dialup to a cable internet connection. On the same day I purchased a Firewall from Symantec and wentinto Windows and downloaded any updates that were available. Since that date I have had this problem.

I recently went from Dialup to a cable internet connection. On the same day I purchased a Firewall from Symantec
Well that may explain it. Probably the cable internet but don't ever rule out Symantec.

Try disconnecting the cable box then stopping CIMOM and see if it starts up on it's own again.

lindam

I did disconnect the cable as well as disabling the firewall and CIMOM came right back, since then I have just been using the safe mode....

griffinspc said:
Well that may explain it. Probably the cable internet but don't ever rule out Symantec.

Try disconnecting the cable box then stopping CIMOM and see if it starts up on it's own again.

Well I hesitate to tell you to use msconfig to stop it from loading, if it's even visible there, since my guess is it's part of the broadband package. There really would be no other reason I can think of.

I think the best choice would be to let me ask a couple of folk here who may have experience with that file and broadband. Afraid I'm still a dial up man.

I'll see if they can review this.

lindam

I appreciate any help that you can give. In hindsite I wish I would have stayed with dial up.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Hi lindam, welcome from me as well, Griff has asked me look in here, but I'm kinda stumped too.

I'd like to see your startup items, via, start, run, type msinfo32 and hit enter, go to software, startups, edit, select all, edit, copy and come back and paste.

http://www.wbemsource.org/wbem-tools/news.tpl?CALLER=index.tpl&gnid=218
Also, does that sound familiar?

Can you search for that file via windows explorer (cimom) and right click, properties and give us info on it.

lindam

ScanButton 2.1 Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ScanButton 2.1\ScanButton.exe"
PowerReg Scheduler Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp\PowerReg Scheduler.exe
Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE Calendar Checker Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Ulead Systems\Ulead Photo Express 3.0 SE\CalCheck.exe"
Microsoft Find Fast Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\FINDFAST.EXE"
Office Startup Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA.EXE" -b
HotSync Manager Startup Group C:\Palm\hotsync.exe
Event Planner Reminders Tray Icon Startup Group C:\Sierra\Planner\PLNRnote.exe
MSN Quick View Startup Group "C:\Program Files\ONMSN\MSNDC.EXE"
Image Transfer Startup Group "C:\Program Files\Sony Corporation\Image Transfer\SonyTray.exe"
Dataviz Messenger Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe
Yahoo! Pager Registry (Per-User Run) C:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Messenger\ypager.exe -quiet
Adaware Bootup Registry (Per-User Run) C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT AD-AWARE\AD-AWARE.EXE /Auto /Log "C:\PROGRAM FILES\LAVASOFT AD-AWARE\"
ScanRegistry Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
TaskMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\taskmon.exe
SystemTray Registry (Machine Run) SysTray.Exe
EnsoniqMixer Registry (Machine Run) starter.exe
mmpti Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\m1mmpti.exe
BillMinder Registry (Machine Run) C:\QUICKENW\BILLMIND.EXE
StillImageMonitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
Adaptec DirectCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
ccApp Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
ccRegVfy Registry (Machine Run) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccRegVfy.exe"
Advanced Tools Check Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\ADVCHK.EXE
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Run) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
Gene USB Monitor Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMonit.exe
TaskMon Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\taskmon.exe
Symantec Core LC Registry (Machine Run) C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
CriticalUpdate Registry (Machine Run) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\wucrtupd.exe -startup
CreateCD Registry (Machine Run) C:\PROGRA~1\ZIPCD\EASYCD~1\CREATECD\CREATECD.EXE -r
rmmon Registry (Machine Service) C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mprmmon.exe
ccEvtMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
ScriptBlocking Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
LoadPowerProfile Registry (Machine Service) Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
SchedulingAgent Registry (Machine Service) mstask.exe
NPROTECT Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\ADVTOOLS\NPROTECT.EXE
ccSetMgr Registry (Machine Service) "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
ccProxy Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\CCPROXY.EXE
SndSrvc Registry (Machine Service) C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SNDSRVC.EXE

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Well, it's not in the startup process, unless you turned it off? When does it start running?

Also, not sure how much ram you have, but that is way too many startup items.

lindam

The only time I see it running is when I am trying to do my ScanDisk. I do CTL ALT DEL to stop the unnecessary programs from running. CIMOM will not stop, it keeps coming back into the list after I EndTask.

I do not know how all of those got items got into my startup, nor do I know how to delete them.

~Candy~

Retired Administrator
Ok, let's try this. Reboot the computer. Do CTRL-ALT-DEL immediately after the desktop loads and prior to you opening any other programs. Is it there at that time?

Dataviz Messenger Startup Group C:\WINDOWS\DvzCommon\DvzMsgr.exe

DataViz Documents to Go - "allows you to use your Word, Excel and PowerPoint files on your handheld anywhere, anytime. In addition, it now synchronizes e-mail with attachments, PDF files, pictures and Excel-like charts"

Do you use any software that may have installed this? http://www.dataviz.com/products/documentstogo/

This is just a guess base on the purpose of this file CIMOM

lindam

Okay, I tried this and the program was not there until I hit cancel and all of the programs loaded.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online