Windows 98 client using Windows server 2000

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

spiers

Hi,
My friend and i at Univsersity have to create a Windows 2000 server and then make a computer using Windows 98 able to connect to it and access files in shared folders.
This is all done using software called VMWare, this prevents us using real computers do to the work, in the probably event we would break them.

The problem is we get stuck near the end of the documentation we are given.
When the user on the 98 machine tries to log in it just says invalid or unknown domain or it might even be password, im not sure at the minute, more likely to be domain as we set up the user accounts ourselfs.

The teacher asked us to try the ping command, to try to connect to each other.
My friend on the 98 machine could ping himself and my machine,
i could pinghost (my machine) but when i tried to ping the 98 machine it said request timed out.
This seemed odd as he could ping my machine but i could not ping his, the only thing i can think of about that is outbound connections have been blocked, but we have been told security is disabled as default on Win2000 servers.

Sorry about the large text file, it wont let me add RTF files on here, i tried to bold the part we are stuck on but it just changed the whole text of everything.
We are stuck on from :
7. Configure a Windows 98 Client
(its near the bottom of the file)

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online