1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Windows 98 compared to Win 2000

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by [email protected], Jan 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steveg@usmr.net

[email protected] Thread Starter

I have a question concerning the operational stabliity (fewer blue screens) between Windows 98 & Windows 2000 or the Pro edition. Here goes:

I get locked screens (with screen saver) on my notebook with Win 98 every few days. I am planning to upgrade to Win 2000 as I've heard the stability of 2000 is far superior to 98. In fact, I've heard very little good news about 98 from the standpoint of reliability.

My question is . . . do you think upgrading from Win 98 to Win 2000 will add a significant degree of reliability to my Fujitsu PIII 600 notebook? I'd appreciate any input on this.

Thanks very much.

Steve G.

2. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

I cannot speak specifically about the two OS on notebooks but I do know that Win98SE is very stable and 2000 a little more so but it does have some compatibility issues that SE doesn't have. I would contact the manufacturer at their web site and make sure it would be wise for that 2000 upgrade before going any further. You my have more blue screens than before as your notebook my have conflicts with 2000.

3. alaric_1224

alaric_1224

I would go ahead and upgrade to Win 2K. From my experience with the two operating systems Win2K is much more stable. It also has more device drivers already with it and doesn't require a reset after each change. There are some big differences between the two however because Win2K is based on the NT kernel rather than the Win9x DOS based kernel. Hope I helped.

4. slipe

slipe

I would remove the screensaver. Is it that important to you to have a screensaver that you are willing to upgrade your OS?

If your laptop came with Win98 you are probably going to have some compatibility issues to deal with at best. Both Win98 and SE can be stable systems once you get them sorted out. I would deal with the issues first and see if you can’t get a stable Win98 running rather than upgrade the OS.

I think after disabling your screen saver you need to clean up your msconfig/startup and clean out your temp files.

Startup: http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk/startup_content.htm
    Cleanup: http://www.geocities.com/maranathapmoore/docs/pcmaint.html

If you would like some help with the startup I’m sure everyone could go through your list and recommend what you need to keep. Start>Run, type msinfo32 and enter. Open Software Environment and then Startup Programs. Copy paste the list to a post.

You might also download AdAware and have it scan your system for spyware: www.lavasoftusa.com

I presume you keep your anti-virus definitions up to date.

5. bestshotdude

bestshotdude

Slipe is correct about the screen saver suggestion as I had been using the very popular WebShots. It's nice and pretty but when it cyles to another picture it can really do some damage. Besides, if I am just sitting there looking at screen saver pictures I need more out of life.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/66037

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice