1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 crashed can only deal in dos

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by Danyiell, Jan 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

My sister and I both have the Compaq Presario 5834. My computer has always worked fine, but hers has had problem after problem. We finally found out that she had a program that was causing the problems, and deleted it. Her computer worked wonderfully for about 10 days, until her husband downloaded another program off of the internet. Anyway it shut her down and brought her back up in factory settings. I wasn't sure what had happened so I just went over and shut it down. The problem was that now it won't come back up at all. It stays in dos. So I inserted her windows 98 cd and ran scandisk and after two days we finally got it to go through scandisk without any errors, but guess what, now it says that we need to run scandisk for windows because it has an"invalid long filename" error. We entered through that because I didn't know how to fix it and it didn't give any options and then hit enter to run Windows 98 from the cd. Unfortunately the Registry Repair Results throw out an error saying - error in system files - delete files to free up disk space on windows drive. The problem is I don't know how to do this. Can anyone tell me step by step directions to fix this, and if you can is this even going to work? Please help me. Thank you.

2. bandit429

bandit429

[tsg=welcome][/tsg]

Just out of curiosity what was the program that was downloaded??

Try running system file checker,,go to start and run then type sfc.exe and hit ok, that might work. What is the error exactly?

3. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

The program was a napster look alike. I don't think it was reputable at all.

I can't even get into start. I am stuck in dos period. It doesn't go anywhere except the windows startup menu - in dos. There are two errors 1) correct the directory entry scandisk has found one or more invalid long filenames in the file allocation table run scandisk for windows to correct error.
    2) Registry Repair Results: Error in system files. Delete files to free up disk space on Windows Drive. You may have to install Windows to a new Directory.

Do you think it can be fixed?

4. bandit429

bandit429

Maybe,,Try to type in
    C:\>
    then type
    scanreg /restore
    Make sure you get a space after scanreg, hit enter, then choose one of the dates to restore but not the oldest one,,but try to pick a date before this happened.

5. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

Okay, I just tried this c:\> it brought up C:\> so I put scanreg /restore - this just brings up BAD COMMAND OR FILE NAME. Is there anything else I can try?

6. bandit429

bandit429

Try Scanreg /fix

Are you sure you got it typed in right?

7. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

Okay, I think I am doing it right but I went over and did it again and the new one you gave me and it also give me bad command or file name. Maybe I am missing somethings, because I have tried several dos commands that should work that don't. I am not sure what to do here. Is it possible that something wiped out some of the windows files? Is there a way to restore windows files?

8. bandit429

bandit429

Try C:\>dir
    Is anything there?

9. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

Okay, I did what you said and a ton of things ran through but at the very end of the file it said Restore <DIR> so I hit c:\>dir restore and this is what came up:
    C:\>dir restore

Volume in drive C has no label
    Volume Serial Number is 37AA-DE69
    Directory of C:\Restore

. <DIR> 01-19-03 7:32a
    .. <DIR> 01-19-03 7:32a
    MSBatch Inf 2900 04-23-99 10:22p

1 File(s) 2900 bytes
    2 dir(s) 9549.66 MB free

C:\>

So I thought I would try to do

C:\>dir scanreg

It came back

FILE NOT FOUND
    What do you think?

10. bandit429

bandit429

Well the actual name is rb001 thru rb005.cab.

By the tons of files and folders you saw pass by at least means the drive has not been erased. You did try to run scandisk.exe??

11. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

Okay, I went over and tried dir rb 001.cab and I tried this all the way throught to rb 005.cab and it says file not found

Scandisk.exe does not run on the C drive but if I type it in on e: like this scandisk.exe/all it works. I have it running the surface scan now because everything else we fixed over the last two days.

12. bandit429

bandit429

Sorry I was so long getting back to you,,would you give us an update?

13. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

The only thing I did is posted right above your last reply. Scandisk.exe does not run on the c drive but will run if I type /all. That is the only way to get scandisk moving. Also I checked for files rb 001.cab all the way through to rb 005.cab and it says file not found. I don't know if I did it right though.

14. bandit429

bandit429

Go to the other computer,, go to the contol panel,,add/remove programs and click the startup disk tab,, insert a clean fresh floppy and click the create button,,then take the disk and insert it in the bad computer. When you get to the a:\> type in
    sys C:
    and press enter when you get that it should say system transferred.

If that does'nt work type this and press enter
    fdisk /mbr
    What Happens?

15. Danyiell

Danyiell Thread Starter

I just created the boot disk and I am running over to the other computer right now I will write back in about 5 minutes. Thank you for taking so much time for this.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/114157

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice