1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 defragmenting

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by gizmolabob, Jan 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gizmolabob

gizmolabob Thread Starter

Would somebody please tell me how to safely speed up the defragmenting process? I have a Maxtor 80G harddrive and it takes 15 hours to defragment. Is this average?

2. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

1. If you are not running WinMe, download the WinMe Version of Defrag

2. If you are running Taskmon (Msconfig > Startup tab), unselect it, and also browse to \Windows\Applog (hidden folder) and delete all files there. This program collects info that defrag uses to optimize program startup. But on a fast machine and fast drive, there is likely little benefit. AND, using it will cause a long running defrag.

2. Delete all files in \Windows\Temp

3. Empty your browser cache

4. Uninstall unused (no longer needed) programs

5. Empty the recycle bin

6. If you are getting restarts, reboot to safe mode and run defrag there. (still disable your screensaver)

7. If you ever get the chance (or buy partition magic), repartition that big drive into multiple smaller ones. As you place more and more data on the drive, defrag times will continue to increase.

3. buckaroo

buckaroo

I have WIN 98 and use the ME defrag and it is significantly faster. I would also follow the above recommendations. Also, here's another defrag program you can try. I haven't tried it but it comes highly recommended. I have no idea whether it's faster than the ME defrag.

http://www.executive.com/freeware/freeware.asp

4. gizmolabob

gizmolabob Thread Starter

I recently found a download of CPU Cool. I'm trying to figure out what specific values I need to change to overclock my PIII (800 Mhz). Any help would be greatly appreciated. I would also like to thank WhitPhil & Buckaroo for the windows defragmenting help. I downloaded Diskkeeper Lite. It defragmented my harddrive in 2 hours instead of the 15 hours that Windows 98 Defragmenter was taking.

5. WhitPhil

WhitPhil Gone but never forgotten Trusted Advisor

Your results from Diskeeper "could" be because it does not use the \Applog files to do program start optimization. If you run Windows defrag without that option, it too will run faster.

As well, since the WinMe is an "offshoot" of Diskeeper, AND your drive had recently been defragged, running another defrag should "obviously" run faster.

Unless you are prepared to reload an image of your disk drive (before running the second program), it is extremely difficult to compare the speeds of 2 different defrag programs.

6. buckaroo

buckaroo

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113297

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice