1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 error message

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by mattk, Jan 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mattk

mattk Thread Starter

I have a problem with windows. I use windows 98. Just the other day my computer was working fine but then it crashed, when it rebooted, it get almost all the way through befre it comes up with this error window which state:

Windows encountered an error while accessing the registry. Windows will attempt to correct the error in the registry.

At this point the only thing I can do is click okay. Then my computer shuts down and reboots again. And the same message pops up.

Now I went into safe mode and ran scan disk. Nothing changed. I also went in to safe mode and chose to get my registry from about 3 days ago, it still is shows the same error message. What can I do? Any help is greatly appreciated. I need this computer at my sole proprietor business.

Mattk

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Matt, from a DOS prompt try entering

scanreg /fix

This may help at least temporarily. It sounds like you could have some faulty ram though.

You can try a software tester, though it's not always 100% reliable in reporting passes.

http://www.simmtester.com/page/products/doc/download.asp

If you can access Windows alright in Safe Mode, the problem may relate to a software conflict. Try running msconfig and disabling programs under the startup tab to see if that resolves the problem. Re-enable them gradually to isolate the conflict.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;en-us;q188867

Also, how much free space is left on the drive? And have you changed your virtual memory settings or disabled it through System Properties > Performance > Virtual Memory?

3. arty62

arty62

4. arty62

arty62

Mat.. I sent you the "easy....." link that has some good info for you....rt

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115856

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice