Windows 98-Everything is clean-but runs real slow & weird-Would you look at HJT Log?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

xfile47

Windows 98

Helping a lady with her computer. It just seems to be running very slow. When you connect to the Internet, then click Explorer it slowly loads as you watch it in the progress bar on the status bar Even when it looks like it is finally there it still won't come up for a long time, however, even tho the home page is not up, if you type an address in the address bar it will take you there, slow but will get you there. If you go back to the desk top and click explorer, It will again look like it is loading but not come up or have to wait for a long, long time. (as in like 4 or 5 min.)

Also if you are loading something like windows updates or a download and close it to the bottom of the page so you can go to another site while that is downloading ,it seems as though it will either freeze up or take an extreme amount of time to get there, you wait and wait and you finally think well its not going to work so you click on something else. Then all of a sudden the page you wanted will come up. Does not matter if it is a web page you are waiting for or to get somewhere like start>settings>control panel still takes a long time.

I ran Adware SE 1.06 ---clean
spybot S&D-------------clean
setup spyblaster
script defender
ie-spyad
spyware guard
Has ZoneAlarm firewall
McAfee ran and it is clean
Redid the host file
Ran regseeker

So I thought maybe there was something in the HJT Log that should come out. I am not at her house now but going back tomorrow so any help would be appreciated. There were 3 of the 04s in the Log that I had not seen before two were dlls and one was a ocx I don't think they belong but then they say system so I don't want to mess with it, I would rather have someone who knows about the log help me. so here is the log and then I have two more small questins at the end.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.1
Scan saved at 5:46:00 PM, on 6/30/05
Platform: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSRTE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\MHOTKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSWHEEL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHLD.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSESCN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCAGENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ZONE LABS\ZONEALARM\ZLCLIENT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGMAIN.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\SGBHP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
C:\NEW HJT PROGRAM\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Local Page =
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: SpywareGuard Download Protection - {4A368E80-174F-4872-96B5-0B27DDD11DB2} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYWAREGUARD\DLPROTECT.DLL
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: McAfee VirusScan - {BA52B914-B692-46c4-B683-905236F6F655} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCVSSHL.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] c:\windows\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TaskMonitor] c:\windows\taskmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CHotKey] mHotkey.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [POINTER] C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~8\point32.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VSOCheckTask] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\MCMNHDLR.EXE" /checktask
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [VirusScan Online] "C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsshld.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCAgentExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\mcagent.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MCUpdateExe] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\AGENT\MCUPDATE.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Zone Labs Client] C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [McVsRte] C:\PROGRA~1\MCAFEE.COM\VSO\mcvsrte.exe /embedding
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [TrueVector] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\ZONELABS\VSMON.EXE -service
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Registering itss.dll..] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32 /s itss.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Registering itircl.dll..] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32 /s itircl.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\RunOnce: [Registering hhctrl.ocx..] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\regsvr32 /s hhctrl.ocx
O4 - Startup: SpywareGuard.lnk = C:\Program Files\SpywareGuard\sgmain.exe
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM\AIM.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O16 - DPF: {4ED9DDF0-7479-4BBE-9335-5A1EDB1D8A21} (McAfee.com Operating System Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcinsctl/en-us/4,0,0,83/mcinsctl.cab
O16 - DPF: {BCC0FF27-31D9-4614-A68E-C18E1ADA4389} (DwnldGroupMgr Class) - http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/shared/mcgdmgr/en-us/1,0,0,20/mcgdmgr.cab

The other questions were
Her mouse pointer seems to be flickering on and off real fast, not on all sites but most, the ones it does not do it right away seems like after awhile it will start.

And when you connect to the Internet usually you get those two little computers that show up in the tray. How do you do that in win98? hers always was there until today, they just disappeared, how do I get them back??

Thank you very much for some help.

Your log appears clean. Not sure what is causing your slow system, but it could be any number of things. Is the RAM maxed out? how about the CPU usage? Not sure what to tell you about the pointer.

To enable the Dial-up Networking Connection icon in the system tray, follow these steps:
1. Open the Dial-up Networking folder. In Windows 98, you can access this folder from My Computer on the desktop. In Windows Millennium Edition (Me), you can access the Dial-up Networking folder from Control Panel.
2. On the Connections menu, click Settings.
3. Click to select the Show an icon on the taskbar after connected check box.
4. Click OK to close the Dial-up Networking Settings window.
To disable the Dial-up Networking Connection icon in the system tray, use the steps in this section, but click to clear the Show an icon on the taskbar after connected check box that is mentioned in step 3.

xfile47

Thanks, I was hoping there would be something in the log but no such luck, I will check those things also, Thanks for the fast response.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online