1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

windows 98 explorer error ( SHDOCVW.DLL )

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by euphoricsoul01, Dec 29, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. euphoricsoul01

euphoricsoul01 Thread Starter

i just reformated my computer. installed only the drivers for my hardware. i prepare to install officexp but it says i have to restart first. after i restart i cannont go into any folders at all. every time i try to open my computer control panel or anything it reads the following:

" explorer caused an invalid page fault in module shdocvw.dll at 015f:79eaddal. "

i know the cause of this problem is the officexp install file, but i cant get into the folder to delete it. i dont want to reformat for the third time in a row. any suggestions? thanks alot guys!

2. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    Have you tried to see if it will boot into SafeMode so you can uninstall Office XP? Restart the PC and keep tapping the F8 key during the boot up. You want to start tapping it prior to the Windows splash screen. Assuming you do get the Startup Menu with 6 options, take the option for "SafeMode".

Or if SafeMode doesn't work, take the option for "SafeMode, Command Prompt Only". Then at a C:\> prompt try running a registry restore. You'll lose anything you've installed or add since the registry copy was made but it may save you from having to reformat. I've never tried this right after a clean install of Windows but I assume you should have a registry copy to restore to. Anyway, at the C:\> prompt type in the following and press enter. Follow the prompts to restore a registry copy.

scanreg /restore

Once your able to get back into Windows, that particular .dll file is part of Internet Explorer. If it's a fresh W98 install, then you have either IE 4.01 or the original IE 5.0. I'd try first updating to a newer version of IE and then running the Office XP install.

3. Mosaic1

Mosaic1

If you want to uninstall Office XP try this:
    Open the registry and navigate to:
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall

Find the subkey for Office and click on it.
    In the right pane you'll see a string value named uninstall String.
    Double click on that. Copy the value and paste it into
    Start>run
    It will start the uninstall process for you.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/63355

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice